Gold Standard Agency Seeks CEO
In 2017, Big Brothers Big Sisters of America named us a national Gold Standard agency, an honor given to 16 of the 300 BBBS affiliates across the U.S. We were the only BBBS agency in the state of Tennessee to be recognized in this way. In addition to exceeding quality outcomes set for children and families, we expanded our programs through the launch of Mentor 2.0, an innovative, technology-enriched mentorship opportunity that features college-readiness curriculum. We ended our fiscal year in the best financial health in the history of our agency – and with a talented, motivated, and passionate team in place.
Moving forward, we are seeking a CEO who will continue our strong momentum, while maintaining continuity, integrity, and enthusiasm within our agency. As our current and highly-respected CEO steps aside, we are committed to a smooth transition of leadership that honors the accomplishments we have made and recognizes the challenges that lie ahead. Ultimately, the new CEO will be the candidate we believe can help us serve more children, change more lives, and transform our community – one match at a time.
The CEO’s Role
The CEO’s primary focus is to lead the day-to-day management and operation of all programs and services provided by the agency. The CEO is an effective fundraiser who builds strong relationships with key stakeholders and donors. The CEO serves as the “face of the agency” in the community and is an energetic, enthusiastic advocate. The CEO oversees all our administrative and fiduciary functions, and works closely and collaboratively with the governing Board to implement all policy decisions. The CEO motivates and inspires our staff, and sustains a highly professional work environment.
Top 10 Actions
The following 10 actions are vital for the CEO to be able to deliver upon:
- Ensure that the mission, vision, and values of BBBS-ETN are carried out in partnership with the governing Board, and that charitable giving achieves levels essential to fund a growing regional agency.
- Identify, cultivate, and build strong long-term relationships with large-scale individual, foundation, and corporate donors.
- Ensure programmatic excellence and impact by establishing operational benchmarks, setting timelines, and making child safety a priority.
- Maintain staff proficiency and commitment through strategic recruiting and mentoring, while consistently looking for ways to provide career growth and development for our team.
- Demonstrate business acumen in terms of developing and monitoring budgets, overseeing revenues and expenditures, and monitoring/anticipating cash flow needs.
- Project a passionate, articulate, persuasive image for the agency within the community.
- Inspire confidence and trust in hundreds of volunteer mentors, donors, served families, community stakeholders, government associations, and the media.
- Anticipate changing community needs with vision and imagination, and initiate and implement long-range strategic and operational plans.
- Work closely with other organizations and government agencies with shared interests in those served by BBBS-ETN and promote inter-organizational partnerships, as appropriate.
- Take executive responsibility for agency compliance with all applicable non-profit laws, contractual obligations, and donor restrictions, and maintain appropriate internal policies and procedures to ensure such compliance.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably within a business discipline; a graduate degree in Management or Human Services preferred.
- Prior leadership experience, preferably within a non-profit organization.
- Demonstrated success in securing large financial gifts from diverse funding sources.
- Ability to analyze financial data/reports to ensure that revenues, expenses, and payroll are within budgeted objectives.
- Understand how to hire, develop, and retain key employees.
- Understand how to build networks of community partners, brand and market, and enhance visibility in order to attract funds, volunteers, clients, and broad public support.
- Ability to work in a position of leadership with a governing Board, to use mature judgment in all areas, and earn the confidence and respect of our Board.
Salary and Benefits
Compensation for this position will be commensurate with experience. All discussion with prospects for this position will be treated with utmost discretion.
Interested candidates meeting the identified requirements listed in this job description should submit:
- Cover letter that includes your salary requirements.
- List of four (4) references by name, job title, relationship to you, email, and phone number.
PLEASE SEND YOUR MATERIALS TO: Job@TennesseeBig.org
Submit the materials above no later than December 18, 2017. All inquiries must be directed to this email address only. The CEO selection process is facilitated by an external committee. Therefore, do not call BBBS-ETN to inquire about this position.
All qualified applicants will be given consideration without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender preference, marital status, age, religion, national origin, disability, and veteran status.