Reports To: Governing Board of Directors
Location: Tulsa or Oklahoma City Metro Areas
The CEO must be a mission-focused, seasoned, strategic, and visionary leader with experience scaling an organization, leading an executive management team, and developing a performance culture among a group of diverse, talented individuals. The successful CEO will serve as the “face of the agency” throughout the state and will have the oral and written communications skills necessary to articulate the vision at a very high level to the Board, staff, corporate and civic leaders, individual donors and agency partners.
- Serve as chief executive officer of the organization; report to the board of directors; responsible for leading the organization’s success.
- With the chair of the board, enable the board to fulfill its governance function and facilitate the optimum interaction between management and the board.
- Direct and formulate the plan for achieving the agency’s mission, strategy, annual goals, and objectives.
- Develop long-term relationships with donors, corporate and government leaders; work with the Board to generate significant funds for the organization.
- Working in partnership with the board of directors and staff, implement the strategic three-year plan and develop the processes and approaches to achieve it, reporting progress on a quarterly basis.
- Serve as liaison with BBBS of America and serve on committees or forums as necessary.
Responsibilities to the Board – 20-30%
As a prerequisite, the successful candidate must believe in the core values of BBBSOK and be driven by the mission. The candidate should demonstrate a passion for breaking new ground to lead social change. Beyond that, we are seeking a candidate that has proven experience in scaling a multi-site organization and a demonstrated ability to both lead and build the capabilities of a driven, bright, diverse team.
The successful candidate will most likely have had several years of executive-level management and fundraising experience. As noted, this is an organization driven by the values of its people, so experience in managing a “mission-driven” organization will be highly prized. Additional desired traits are:
- Results – proven track record of exceeding goals and a bottom-line orientation; evidence of the ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment.
- Resource Development – proven ability to raise funds, create strategic partnerships, and generate support from individuals, corporations, foundations, and local, state and federal government sources.
- Strategic Vision and Agility – ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan.
- Capacity Building – ability to effectively build organization and staff capacity, developing a top-notch workforce and the processes that ensure the organization runs smoothly.
- Leadership and Organization – exceptional capacity for managing and leading people; a team builder who has experience in scaling up organizations; ability to connect staff both on an individual level and in large groups.
- Capacity to Enforce Accountability – develop and empower top-notch leaders from the bottom up, lead from the top down, cultivate entrepreneurship, and learn the strengths and weaknesses of the team so as to put people in a position to succeed.
- Action Oriented – enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available; not afraid to take charge of a situation; can overcome resistance to leadership and take unpopular stands when necessary.
- General Management – thorough understanding of finance, systems, and HR; broad experience with the full range of business functions and systems able to complement the leadership team’s skills in the areas of strategic development and planning, budgeting, business analysis, finance, information systems, human resources, and marketing.
- Solid Educational Background – undergraduate degree required; MBA or similar advanced degree highly desired.
The work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
BBBSOK office is a typical office environment; fast paced. Flexible work week schedule; some evenings and weekends are required. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is required to travel extensively throughout Oklahoma by automobile. Regular travel is required between the 7 office sites as well as travel for meetings with donors, partners and potential funders throughout the state. A minimum of 1-2 times per week is to be expected. There will be occasional travel required outside of the state for national meetings.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by any office employee. Reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The physical demands will change from day to day on this position which will require sedentary position for long periods of time; at desk or in vehicle for business; heavy key-board use; Some phone use (must have ability to talk and hear); walking and standing for long periods of time as needed; reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required to file documents or store materials throughout the work day; lifting objects occasionally up to twenty-five pounds.
Interested candidate(s) meeting the identified Competencies and Qualifications should submit:
- Cover letter that includes his/her five year salary history, including current salary level.
- List of four (4) references by name, email, phone number, job title and relationship to applicant.
PLEASE SEND TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
Submit resume no later than November 15, 2017. All inquiries must be directed to this email address only. The CEO selection process is facilitated by an external committee. Therefore, do not call Big Brothers Big Sisters of Oklahoma to inquire about this position.
All qualified applicants will be given consideration without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender preference, marital status, age, religion, national origin, disability, and veteran status.