Reporting to the Vice President of Development, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metro Atlanta (BBBSMA) is seeking a dynamic and mission-driven Director of Special Events to join the department at its headquarters located in Atlanta, Georgia.
The Director of Special Events is responsible for developing and managing major fundraising events for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metro Atlanta. Current annual events include Bowl for Kids’ Sake, Bigs Swing Fore Littles Golf Tournament and the Legacy Awards Gala. Key responsibilities include planning and implementing cost-effective events, setting revenue goals, forming relationships with and soliciting event sponsors and donors, supervising the Special Events Coordinator, and managing sponsors, contractors, vendors, employees and volunteers. An ideal candidate will have:
- Passion for the mission of BBBSMA
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment, meet concurrent deadlines, show strong attention to detail and organize time and priorities.
- The ability to think strategically and creatively about new approaches to philanthropy.
- A spirit of collaboration that fosters positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience in managing event logistics and details for large-scale events, preferably nonprofit fundraising events.
- Ability to prepare and manage event budgets.
- Experience in soliciting cash and in-kind donations from individual donors and corporations.
- Ability to steward gifts and ensure that sponsor expectations are met.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Solid decision making ability
- High degree of integrity, initiative, and resilience
- Plan and produce BBBSMA’s fundraising events, including planning and coordinating all aspects of event logistics.
- Supervise the Special Events Coordinator in the solicitation of silent and live auction items, and other projects.
- Prepare budgets for each event and manage costs to ensure maximum revenue for the benefit of the agency’s mission. Analyze the cost-efficiency of all events; recommend and implement changes to improve ROI.
- Identify, cultivate and solicit cash and in-kind sponsorships from individual donors, local businesses and corporations, as appropriate, in coordination with other Development Department staff and board members.
- Manage and engage committees made up of board members and other volunteers for each event.
- Select, hire and manage contractors, vendors and volunteers as needed.
- Develop event promotion and publicity programs with the Marketing and Communications Manager.
- Secure the participation of individuals and volunteers as needed.
- Work with Young Leaders Council and serve as an advisor and resource for their events
- Research and evaluate opportunities for new, revenue-generating events.
Bachelor’s Degree required. Degree in Nonprofit Management, Marketing, English, Journalism, Public Affairs, Communications, English or a related field preferred.
Minimum five years of experience in nonprofit special event fundraising preferred, with a strong track record of success in generating revenue. Prior history of special events management in a nonprofit or corporate setting required.
Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications especially Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, and development databases (Raiser’s Edge preference).
Strong initiative and desire to advance development skills and career.
- May be required to occasionally work nights and weekends as needed
- Local and overnight travel may be required
As the largest one-to-one mentoring organization in the Southeast, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metro Atlanta (BBBSMA) currently serves nearly 1800 youth in one-to-one relationships. Our service to our community extends beyond the city of Atlanta to the 12-county metropolitan area surrounding the city: Butts, Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, Paulding and Rockdale. Our staff of approximately 40 employees supports our city’s children and their families through friendships that are formed with caring adult volunteers.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metro Atlanta
1382 Peachtree Street, NE, Atlanta, Georgia 30309
For more information about BBBSMA please visit http://bbbsatl.org
Nondiscrimination and Equal Employment Opportunity:
BBBSMA is highly committed to the principal of equal opportunity in employment.
Please submit all resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org