Provide strategic leadership to position Big Brothers Big Sisters of Southwest Colorado as the premier one-to-one mentoring organization in the communities that we serve. Ensure that the vision, mission, strategic plan, values and goals of the organization are achieved. Oversee day-to-day operations of the agency. Serve as lead member of the leadership team by staying abreast of organization-wide issues and contributing to the development and achievement of the agency’s long-term vision and short-term operating plans.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Strategic and Board:
- Identify strategic opportunities/challenges facing the agency and work with the board and staff to address them in a timely basis.
- Cultivate a strong Board of Directors willing to lead and contribute to the fund development success of the organization.
- Ensure effective orientation and education of board members to build their knowledge, commitment and skills.
- Ensure effective communication processes to keep board members well informed and to use their time and talents appropriately.
- Lead the collaborative efforts of the board and staff to create and implement strategic plans focused on fund development, community partnerships, program growth and agency capacity.
- Make business decisions using performance metrics and quality indicators to ensure operational excellence.
- Recommend operational policies for consideration by the Board of Directors.
- Identify key constituencies and leverage community relationships to assist in board member recruitment.
- Lead the development of the annual operations plan that is realistic and viable, focused on top strategic priorities that can be easily adjusted to changing circumstances.
Fund Development, Program Management and Financial Management:
- Develop and implement diversified and cost-effective fundraising plan and sound fiscal management procedures to ensure the agency’s financial stability and growth without adversely affecting other criteria of success (e.g. customer satisfaction, quality of service).
- Establishes and ensures a system for quality assurance and youth protection consistent with the policies and requirements of BBBSA.
- Pro-actively ensure that the organization develops strong long term relationships with large scale individuals, foundations and corporate donors/funders.
- Personally build and maintain key community relationships to ensure that fund development goals and strategy are achieved.
- Prepares and implements an annual donor cultivation plan to meet the growing needs of the organization. Includes, but not limited to, individual and corporate donors, major gifts and planned giving.
- Responsible for expanding and leveraging relationships with foundations, corporations, individuals and public funding sources to underwrite program growth.
- Assist COO and staff in all fundraising efforts following policy and procedures of record keeping and reporting income.
- Serve as the primary grant writer, ensure accurate grant reports and appropriate expenditures of grant funds.
- In conjunction with COO, oversee all public relations campaigns, advertising and publicity for fundraisers and volunteer recruiting activities, inclusive of print and radio ads, monthly newsletter, brochures, fliers and any other form of public information.
- Develop annual budget, with input from staff and board, to ensure long-term viability of the agency.
- Oversee accounting procedures and an accounting system that provides the organization with easy access to financial information and supports strategic budgeting.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the agency in alignment with the policies of the Board of Directors and the Standards of Big Brothers Big Sisters of America.
- Attract, hire, retain, develop and leverage staff talent to perform at high quality levels.
- Promote a positive work environment that operates with openness and integrates planning efforts across the organization.
- Manage all aspects of Human Resource functions in compliance with BBBS policies as well as State and Federal laws.
- Manage all regulatory and compliance/reporting requirements as a non-profit and a BBBSA affiliate.
Ambassador and Spokesperson:
- Act as the agency’s media spokesperson in partnership with the President of the Board of Directors.
- Represent Big Brothers Big Sisters of Southwest Colorado at external events and with the media.
- Develop on-going, positive relationships with the media and community organizations to promote high-level visibility of Big Brothers Big Sisters.
- Collaborate with regional Big Brothers Big Sisters agencies to leverage potential resources and marketing opportunities.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Strategic thinking, business savvy, data-driven decision-making, sound problem solving skills, ability to assess situations with nimbleness and talent for setting and achieving a forward-thinking direction for an organization.
- Bachelors Degree with minimum (5) five years recent experience as the leader of an organization with a demonstrated record of accomplishment in creating and implementing sustained growth strategies in a non-profit or corporate environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills plus competency in MS Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Proven expertise in Fund Development and Board Development
- Demonstrated ability to develop and lead a diverse staff.
- Proven interpersonal and team building skills.
REQUIREMENTS AND EXPECTATIONS:
- Performs duties in compliance with National BBBS standards and BBBS SW CO policies, procedures and practices.
- Represents BBBS SW CO in a professional manner in the community and office.
- Possess an entrepreneurial approach to the use of scarce resources.
- Must have reliable transportation, valid Driver’s License and proper vehicle insurance.
- Must be able to work some evenings and weekends as needed.
- Occasional heavy lifting is required for special events or community booths, etc.
- Work requires use of computers and the need to work in front of a computer terminal for extended periods of time.
- Work may require participation in indoor/outdoor activities.
- Must be self-motivated, responsible and able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Must pass background check.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with the job. Other duties as assigned.
Equal Employment Opportunity
BBBS SW Colorado strives to make all personnel decisions without regard to race, creed, age, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, gender, gender expression, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class as required by applicable law. All employees are expected to actively support these principles and objectives in our work environment and with others with whom we come into contact.
Send a cover letter and resume with salary history to email@example.com.