Location: Englewood, CO
Contact Email: email@example.com
You are the ideal candidate if you are looking for a rewarding and exciting new opportunity and want to work with smart, passionate people who really care about the work that they do. You are interested in being part of a stimulating and fun workplace environment as well as building relationships with students in a high school setting. Being a part of a new and growing program, it often feels like a start-up environment and you will thrive in fast paced setting with many moving parts. You look forward to overseeing the amazing process of mentees building relationships with their mentors and you are up to the challenge of supporting a high school class and their mentors throughout the high school years.
Mentor2.0 is an innovative high school mentoring program and a collaboration between Big Brothers Big Sisters of Colorado and iMentor, out of New York City. This program is about building mentoring relationships that empower high school students from low-income communities to graduate high school, succeed in college, and achieve their ambitions. Students work with their mentors in-person and via email conversations to develop strong personal relationships, nurture a college aspiration, graduate from high school, navigate the college application process, and build critical skills that lead to college success.
Provide direct delivery of the mentor2.0 program through classroom instruction, a technology-based communication approach and an established curriculum focused on promoting school success to reach high school graduation and future planning through mentoring. The Program Coordinator is responsible for:
- Management of match development including recruitment, training, enrollment, matching, match support, and documentation
- Implementation of the mentor2.0 program including daily teaching and monthly group events
- Development of strong collaborative partnerships with school, classroom teachers, administrative staff, and designated corporate partners
As an organization dedicated to inclusiveness, BBBSC values and celebrates the diversity and individuality of every child, volunteer, employee, board member, family and community partner.
Essential Duties, Responsibilities and Activities
- Facilitate high impact relationships between 90-100 mentoring pairs matches including:
- Managing enrollment, screening, interviewing, training
- Providing individual match support and case management including documentation
- Proactively assisting match relationships through regular communication (phone, email and in-person)
- Identifying matches who need additional support and implementing strategies to improve mentoring relationship
- Teach mentor2.0 classes 2-4 times a week during the school day.
- Organize and facilitate monthly match events for 200+ people, overseeing all logistics and content and adhering to an activity budget
- Develop and manage relationships with schools including teachers and administration, ensuring effective program/agency representation in the schools and community
- Track program participation, conduct surveys and evaluations
- Participate in speaking and recruitment opportunities on behalf of the agency
Listening- Practices attentive and active listening; has the patience to hear people out; can accurately restate the information and opinions of others even when he/she disagrees.
Assessment- Is a good judge of behaviors; can clearly articulate strengths, barriers and limitations of people; clearly, objectively and accurately reflects information gathered. Information is presented in writing and in a professional manner.
Time Management- Uses his/her time and the time of others effectively and efficiently; sets priorities; meets deadlines; anticipates and adjusts for problems and barriers; executes tasks while balancing important vs. urgent or shifting priorities.
Customer Focus- is dedicated to meeting the expectations of internal and external customers; establishes and maintains effective relationships that gains trust and respect.
Adaptable- Always open to change and ability to problem solve. Understands that protecting the status quo or standing still is not a viable option. Understands that change brings opportunities.
Innovative- Always looks at problems as opportunities to create, serve and support. Makes recommendations and decisions to improve practices that improve our culture and help us strive to get better every day.
Goal Oriented- Determined to deliver the very best program/service AND reach established individual and team goals. Has strong work ethic and willing to work hard. Understands the need to “study our craft” (i.e. read books, articles, research, actively participate in learning opportunities and seek out mentors) to maintain the highest program standards, grow professionally, help create a high performing culture of excellence.
Professional Presentation- Consistently gives confidence and credibility to our internal and external community and partners by representing the BBBS brand, culture and reputation. Demonstrate professionalism and self-confidence through thoughtful work, professional interactions, respect and clear and consistent communication.
Coachable- Capable of listening, able to take constructive feedback and make changes accordingly to grow professionally.
Accountable- A personal choice to rise above one’s circumstances and demonstrate ownership necessary for achieving desired results- To See It-Own It-Do It and doesn’t make excuses.
Education and Experience
This position requires a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree and 1 year of experience in secondary schools including teaching high school classes, demonstrating effective classroom management, delivering a structured curriculum, adapting curriculum for student relevancy, and engaging students. Successful candidates must be skilled in program delivery through computer and classroom, and adept at building strong, collaborative relationships with students, mentors, teachers, and school administrators to overcome obstacles and challenges.
Material And Equipment Directly Used
Proficient in Microsoft Office; specifically Outlook, Excel and Word. Advanced Excel skills and prior CRM system experience is a plus.
Working Environment/Physical Activities
Office and travel to designated locations as needed.
- Adhere to all personnel guidelines of the agency.
- Maintain professional standards of performance, demeanor, and appearance at all times; act as a role model both at and away from the agency.
- Maintain a creative, team-building approach to job performance and seek to bring a constructive, problem-solving orientation to all tasks.
- Perform all tasks and responsibilities with attention to detail and in a complete and timely manner, complying with agency guidelines and conforming to the scheduling requirements of the job and program.
- Maintain an awareness of the agency’s mission and work to promote the positive individual and social change goals it embodies.
- Exercise discretion and professional judgment at all times keeping with the responsibilities carried personally and by the agency for the care and welfare of the clients; act with honesty and integrity in all aspects of Agency business.
- Actively strive to upgrade professional skills though engaging in appropriate professional training and experience.
- Actively strive to create and maintain a culturally sensitive and appropriate environment through communication and interaction that demonstrates respect for diversity.
Equal Employment Opportunity
BBBSC strives to make all personnel decisions without regard to race, creed, age, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, gender, gender expression, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, arrest record, or any other protected class as required by applicable law. All employees are expected to actively support these principles and objectives in our work environment and with others with whom we come into contact.
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with the job. Other duties as assigned based on the changing needs and priorities of the agency.