JOB SUMMARY: This position is responsible for: 1. providing high-level customer service in response to all customer and stakeholder inquiries/leads and performing office coordination duties, 2. implementing the volunteer screening process in accordance with the Big Brother Big Sister brand, and 3. providing match support to ensure child safety, positive impacts for youth, constructive and satisfying relationships between children and volunteers, and a strong sense of affiliation with BBBS on the part of volunteers. The successful incumbent will produce positive outcomes in the following areas: volunteer yield and processing time; youth yield; youth/parent processing time, match closure rate, frequency of match closures, average match length, volunteer rematch rate, and customer satisfaction. Although the work will be done in the Fairbanks office, some job duties will support our programs in communities outside of Fairbanks.
- Assist the Community Director with organizing and maintaining office supplies and equipment, and coordinating mailings.
- Ensure that all parents and volunteers receive an engaging, positive and personalized sales phone response promoting BBBS programs.
- Respond to all volunteer and parental/guardian calls of inquiry regarding their enrolled status (or that of their children). Ensure that all such inquiries receive prompt and informative response.
- Check references and conduct criminal and child abuse background checks for volunteers. Establish the legal identity of the volunteer through original documentation.
- Through scheduled in-person, telephone, and electronic contact, ascertain that the elements of child safety, match relationship development, positive youth development and volunteer satisfaction are fulfilled and that potential problems and barriers are identified and addressed as early as possible. Match support is provided on a frequency according to BBBS Standards, at a minimum.
- Develop, promote and implement individual and group match activities to support ongoing volunteer involvement with the child and agency affiliation through individualized recognition, newsletters and other informational products, annual events, and reengagement strategies.
- Enter all inquiries, assessments, support contacts and other pertinent data into database, ensuring accuracy and timelines of information systems according to standards.
- Ensure high-level proficiency in applying child safety and risk management knowledge, policies and procedures throughout all aspects of job function. Identify child safety issues for volunteers, children and their families.
- Assist with Fund Development and Recruitment events as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Customer Focus— Able to build strong working relationships with internal and external customers; identify unexpressed customer needs and potential services to meet those needs; independently anticipate and personalize communication/approach to fit different perspectives, backgrounds or styles of individuals; prioritize work in alignment with the needs of the customer; use customer knowledge and feedback to improve own work results.
- Planning & Organizing— Able to create detailed work plans; balance the need for adequate planning with the need for action; avoid wasting time on tasks that yield low value; use resources efficiently; create and monitor measures to chart the progress and impact of assignments.
- Problem Solving & Analysis — Able to gather appropriate data and diagnose a situation before taking action; separate causes from symptoms; apply lessons learned from others who encountered similar problems or challenges; anticipate problems and develop contingency plans to deal with them; develop and evaluate alternative courses of action.
- Continuous Improvement & Gets Results – Able to identify and apply “best practices” in own work; improve efficiency by planning and organizing work effectively, eliminating barriers and streamlining work processes; monitor, evaluate and track own performance; adapt work practices in order to meet goals and deadlines; persist in the face of ongoing obstacles or setbacks; accept responsibility for the quality and outcomes of own work.
- Communication – Verbal and Written — Able to practice active and attentive listening skills to verify understanding; translate what is heard, observed or assessed into documentation that is accurate, concise, and clearly communicates key information to others with a need to know.
- Resilience & Flexibility — Able to interpret situations and information objectively when stressed; remain calm and professional in potentially difficult or emotionally charged interpersonal interactions; maintain high productivity in stressful situations; maintain high performance in the face of setbacks or changing circumstances; view failures objectively and rebound quickly; work to clarify situations where information or objectives are ambiguous.
- Strategic Alignment – Able to align own work objectives with the organization’s strategic plan or objectives; take organizational priorities into consideration when making choices and trade-offs in own work; act with an understanding of how the community affects the business and how own actions and decisions affect other jobs or outcomes; maintain perspective between the overall picture and tactical details.
Minimum Bachelors degree in social services, human resources, or related field. Experience working with both child and adult populations. Understanding of child development and family dynamics. Must have car, valid driver’s license, and meet state required automobile insurance minimums.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Proficiency in Microsoft OFFICE; including Word and Excel. Excellent oral and written communication skills reflecting solid customer service, both in-person and via telephone. Ability to form and sustain appropriate child, adult volunteer-based relationships based on positive youth development and volunteer satisfaction and effectively assess and execute the following relational support skills: guiding, supporting, confronting, advising and/or negotiating. Relate well in multicultural environments. Maintain confidentiality throughout daily operations. Effectively collaborate with other staff. Use time effectively and focus on details. Ability to collect meaningful data and draw solid conclusions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Flexible work hours to meet customer needs. If home visitation is indicated, must travel to local communities and neighborhoods. Ability to sit in meetings, both in-person and via telephone, and to work effectively using a personal computer for long periods of time.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and required skills. Contents may be subject to change to meet the needs of the organization.
The cover letters and resumes should be sent to Trina Resari-Salao at email@example.com.