Reports To: Director of Community Based Programs
FLSA Status: Exempt
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metropolitan Chicago (BBBSMC) helps children reach their potential through professionally supported, one-to-one relationships with caring adult volunteers. BBBSMC is seeking a professional Volunteer Recruitment Specialist with a strong and proven background in recruitment. The Volunteer Recruitment Specialist is responsible specifically for recruiting volunteers for the Project 6 mentoring program to be matched with youth who reside in East/West Garfield Park, North/South Lawndale, Austin, and Englewood. The incumbent in this role will be responsible for recruiting youth from these identified areas also. The Volunteer Recruitment Specialist will develop, implement and assess recruitment goals and comprehensive year-round recruitment plans and tactics for Bigs and Littles to meet the annual match goal for Project 6. This position will be based in BBBSMC’s Englewood satellite office.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
The Project 6 Volunteer Recruitment Specialist is responsible for securing Big and Little participation and community partnerships through community cultivation, lead generation, and follow-up. She/he will develop and implement short and long-term recruitment plans for targeting volunteers and youth to ensure an optimal balance of geographic and demographic factors.
- Actively represent the agency at community events, outreach opportunities and other activities that increase awareness of agency mission and volunteer needs to serve youth in the specific targeted areas.
- Create and implement a volunteer recruitment strategy that includes community outreach efforts to obtain mentors and youth to meet annual match Project 6 goals.
- Adeptly adjust efforts to effectively balance volunteer recruitment or youth outreach needs across the Project 6 areas, and the current ratio of children participating in the program.
- Research, identify and cultivate potential sources for Project 6 volunteers including but not limited to college/universities, government agencies, corporations, churches, social organizations, non-profit agencies, law enforcement groups and professional organizations.
- Cultivate long-term sustaining relationships with organizations, and other community partners through effective stewardship and communications.
- Represent BBBS at community outreach events in targeted areas to build awareness of the agency, mission, and Project 6 recruitment needs.
- Research and identify informal communication networks with current volunteers and partners that will reach underrepresented groups with the goal of increasing volunteer participation in Project 6.
- Track and evaluate results of recruitment and outreach efforts. Provide weekly, monthly, and quarterly progress reports for both volunteer recruitment and youth outreach efforts and forecast returns on upcoming efforts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree with an emphasis in communication, business and/or marketing preferred.
- Three to five years of experience in recruiting, customer service, sales or grassroots campaigns.
- Demonstrated success in sales or recruitment with proven ability to meet quantitative goals on a monthly basis.
- Persuasive written and face-to-face verbal communication skills.
- Highly motivated and self-driven to meet goals.
- Proven oral and written communication abilities with an emphasis on active listening and public presentation skills; able to facilitate presentations to varying-sized groups.
- Ability to effectively communicate program mission and volunteer needs to various constituents.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills with proven ability to work with diverse populations.
- Ability to use data analysis to identify solutions; proficient skills in information gathering, reporting, and data analysis.
- Ability to think strategically to create effective short and long term plans to reach agency goals.
- Self-starter who can work independently and takes initiative; is flexible, adaptable, organized and has a strong attention to detail.
- Able to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends on a regular basis.
- Frequent travel is required. Must have a car, valid driver’s license and insurance. Willing to drive throughout the West and South Sides of Chicago.
This position operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
If interested in applying, please forward your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to: BBBS Career Page
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metropolitan Chicago
Attn: Human Resources
560 W. Lake St., 5th Floor
Chicago, IL 60661
Equal Opportunity Employer