Location: Charlotte, NC
Organization: Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Charlotte
Start/End Date: May 26, 2017 – May 25, 2018
Term of Service: Full-time, one year
Program Benefits: $990/month Living Allowance; Heath Coverage, Choice of Education Award ($5,815) or End of Service Stipend ($1,500), Training, Professional Development Opportunities, Relocation Allowance, Child Care Allowance, if eligible.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Charlotte is seeking a total of six VISTA members who through their service, will help our organization expand its anti-poverty programming and increase its capacity to serve more area children and youth. To increase our service capacity and to better reach the most vulnerable children in our community, we are launching two new programs in 2017. “Bigs in Blue” matches police officers with children from the high crime neighborhoods they patrol and “Project COFIT” is a new initiative providing homeless children with specially trained mentors. We are seeking a compassionate and committed individual to serve in the New Programs Specialist role. This person will focus on participant recruitment, community outreach, volunteer training, materials development, program planning and fund-raising for these new programs. You will be part of a hard-working programs team that is dedicated to reaching and serving all children in need, even those in the most challenging of situations.
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have some college education
- Complete a background check
- Have strong communication and writing skills
- Have solid understanding of computers/technology
- Ability to work independently or on a team
- Be passionate about serving children and youth
- Car is recommended. Outside work/classes permitted, during off hours.
Every year, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Charlotte creates and supports impactful mentoring relationships for over 1,500 local children and teens, age five to eighteen years old. Through our programs, young people facing adversity receive much-needed additional support and guidance so they can overcome their challenges and achieve success. Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Charlotte is at the forefront of our community’s drive to not only serve children in need, but to open their minds to a myriad of possibilities, while supporting them along their path forward.
Charlotte is a vibrant city that offers year-round events and activities, with three professional sports teams, several museums and performing arts venues, miles of natural greenway spaces and diverse and unique neighborhoods.
- Learn more about AmeriCorps VISTA, find Volunteer Specialist opportunity listing and complete application at www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/americorps-vista
- Send email with resume to VISTA Site Supervisor, Heidi Hannon – firstname.lastname@example.org