Local Leaders Help Create Life-Changing Mentoring Relationships for Children
Tampa, Fla. (July 11, 2018) – Big Brothers Big Sisters of America recognized six exceptional Affiliates on June 28 during its Annual National Conference. These affiliates have demonstrated outstanding leadership and have increased the number of children they serve in their communities. These affiliates have all made key strategic decisions that have allowed them to innovate and grow over the past year.
“We have Affiliates in all 50 states doing great work for the children in their communities, but these agencies and Boards have shown truly exemplary leadership, innovation, and dedication,” said Pam Iorio, President and CEO of Big Brothers Big Sisters of America. “These agencies and Boards are helping thousands of children reach their full potential.”
Agencies of the Year
The winning agencies have focused on growing the number and maintaining the quality of mentoring relationships (“matches”) between caring adult volunteers (“Bigs”) and youth (“Littles”).
- Large Agency of the Year: Big Brothers Big Sisters of Eastern Missouri (St. Louis, Missouri)
- Mid-Large Agency of the Year: Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Indiana (Indianapolis, Indiana)
- Small-Mid Agency of the Year: Big Brothers Big Sisters of Southern Minnesota (Owatonna, Minnesota)
Boards of the Year
By guiding staff and shaping programming, agency boards also have a profound impact on the success of the agencies in their communities.
- Small-Mid Agency Board of the Year: Big Brothers Big Sisters of Snohomish County (Everett, Washington)
- Mid-Large Agency Board of the Year: Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Midlands (Omaha, Nebraska)
- Large Agency Board of the Year: Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Sun Coast (Sarasota, Florida)
Agency leaders from Big Brothers Big Sisters’ Nationwide Leadership Council Mentoring Programs Committee select the winners of the Agency of the Year and Board of the Year awards, based on growth in the number of children served, quality and length of mentoring matches, and increased revenues, which ensure the agency can continue to grow and serve more children.
About Big Brothers Big Sisters of America
Big Brothers Big Sisters provides children facing adversity with strong, enduring, professionally supported one-to-one mentoring relationships that change their lives for the better, forever. Big Brothers Big Sisters ensures that the children in its program achieve measurable outcomes, including educational success, avoidance of risky behaviors, higher aspirations, greater confidence, and better relationships. – more – This mission has been the cornerstone of the organization’s 114-year history. With 279 Affiliates across the country, Big Brothers Big Sisters has served more than 2 million children (“Littles”) in the past 10 years. Learn more at www.bigbrothersbigsisters.org.