Chief Executive Officer |Big Brothers Big Sisters of Alaska |Anchorage, Alaska
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Alaska (BBBSAK) and For The Kids Foundation (FTKF) seek an experienced nonprofit leader to serve as their next Chief Executive Officer. The next CEO has the opportunity to shape and grow BBBSAK as a statewide agency, deepening its ability to enhance youth’s resilience and help them achieve their full potential. The ideal candidate will be a compassionate leader who will bring a trauma-informed approach to the team; be able to configure BBBSAK’s philanthropic strategy and maintain fiscal stability through a turbulent time; bring a proven track record and deep commitment to establishing and stewarding long-term partnerships and donors; and have experience recruiting and retaining high-quality staff.
The Leadership Opportunity
The next CEO has the opportunity to shape and grow BBBSAK as a statewide agency and national leader in the well-being of vulnerable youth.
During the past decade, BBBSAK has experienced significant change. The next leader will continue to strengthen the organization with improved service delivery, sustainable philanthropy, and engaged stakeholder partnerships. The next leader will bring a trauma-informed approach and a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion to elevate current programs and develop innovative strategies that better serve youth across Alaska, especially Alaska Native youth.
Like many nonprofits, BBBSAK and FTKF are navigating the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic with innovation, flexibility and resilience. As the pandemic continues and new normals are established, the next CEO will utilize their knowledge and experience, along with support from the national Big Brothers Big Sisters network and in partnership with both engaged boards, to lead BBBSAK and FTKF through COVID fatigue and ongoing uncertainty; emerging from the current crisis stronger and more effective for 2021 and beyond.
The Chief Executive Officer is the internal driver and external face of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Alaska and For The Kids Foundation. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide visionary and strategic leadership, and translate that vision into measurable strategies and concrete actions that advance the mission.
- Be the face of the organization to local communities and to key audiences at the state and national levels.
- Oversee the business operations of the organization and ensure financial resiliency.
- Responsible for developing leadership potential within the organization, including hiring, training, timely evaluation, supervision and retention of personnel and succession planning.
- Lead the organization’s strategic fund development activities; implementing strategies to increase sources of unrestricted revenue.
- Develop, expand and deepen relationships with stakeholders, donors, volunteers and essential Big and Little referral sources statewide.
- Provide support to both boards of directors and their committees; regularly reporting the organization’s status and progress.
- Foster a healthy, compassionate workplace environment for both staff and volunteers.
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate
While no one candidate will embody all the qualifications enumerated below, the ideal candidate will possess many of the following professional and personal abilities, attributes and experiences:
- Demonstrated passion for supporting youth to achieve their full potential
- An inclusive approach that respects and values diverse life experiences and heritages and ensures that all voices are valued and heard
- A compassionate professional who is approachable and possesses a spirit of warmth, humility, and high emotional intelligence
- An empowering and visionary leadership style with a demonstrated history of building and maintaining strong working relationships with staff and Board, as well as with stakeholders, volunteers, funders, and community leaders
- The ability to make and effectively communicate strategic decisions
- Demonstrated track record of effectively leading and scaling up (on regional or national level) a performance- and outcomes-based organization
- Experience growing an organization through implementation of strategic initiatives, effective management and successful fund development
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
- Demonstrated organizational management experience, including coaching, managing, and developing high-performance teams, setting and achieving strategic objectives, and managing a budget
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience with trauma-informed care and service delivery
- Experience serving as the primary spokesperson and representative for the agency; ability to advocate at the local and state level
- Five years executive nonprofit leadership experience preferred; success working with a Board of Directors; experience cultivating existing board member relationships is preferred
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and demonstrated innovative approach to business planning and development
- Proven ability to nurture and sustain relationships with key community partners; working effectively in collaboration with the public, diverse groups of people and stakeholders
The salary range is $100,000 and $120,000 annually, commensurate with qualifications and experience. Big Brothers Big Sisters of Alaska provides competitive benefits including, but not limited to health insurance, 403(b) retirement and generous paid leave accruals.
Read the full position profile and apply at https://www.forakergroup.org/site/index.cfm/cboard-view/7429 . Communications will be treated in confidence and resumes will be accepted until position is filled. Resume reviews begin immediately.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Alaska is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. BBBSAK is especially interested in candidates whose background and experience have prepared them to grow our commitment to engagement and inclusion with culturally diverse audiences.