Position: Chief Executive Officer
Organization: Big Brothers and Big Sisters of New York City Inc
Location: New York, NY
Reporting Relationship: Board of Trustees
Big Brothers Big Sisters of NYC is dedicated to igniting the potential within every NYC child. With a rich history of over 100 years, the Board of Trustees is excited about the organization’s next chapter and looks forward to welcoming a new Chief Executive Officer in 2019.
For an exceptional leader, this is a truly exciting opportunity to join a leading nonprofit organization with an outstanding local and national brand and a history of incredible impact. The CEO will lead Big Brothers Big Sisters of NYC by driving and advancing the mission, strategy, values and goals of the organization forward.
The successful candidate will inspire and engage employees, volunteers, the board, government leaders, the media and the community to take action in creating long-term positive outcomes on behalf of youth. The successful candidate will be viewed as a passionate, entrepreneurial and strategic executive who can execute and build meaningful and lasting relationships. The CEO will develop creative solutions to effectively grow funds, increase the amount of youth served, and build on a rich legacy.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of NYC is considered the founding agency of the nation’s youth mentoring movement. Since 1904, the mission has been to give all children in New York City who face adversity an opportunity to experience a strong, enduring professionally supported one-to-one mentoring relationship with adults that will help change their lives for the better. BBBS of NYC partners with families, volunteers, organizations, and the community to inspire positive change in all.
Currently there are 508,503 children living at or below the poverty level in New York City. 43% of children in New York City are from single-parent families. Every year, BBBS of NYC connects more than 5,000 of these kids with a “Big” who can help them believe that their present situation doesn’t have to be their future.
BBBS of NYC provides evidence-based, impactful mentoring relationships, case management, educational support, and social services to at-risk youth ages 7-21. Nearly all of the youth served reside in single parent homes, and almost 95 percent of the youth come from neighborhoods with the highest poverty rates in NYC: East and Central Harlem, North and Central Brooklyn, and the South Bronx. BBBS of NYC has extensive experience serving high-risk youth, including those with incarcerated parents, immigrant youth, juvenile justice system involved youth, youth in foster care, and teen mothers.
The one-to-one mentoring programs have been classified as effective tools for reducing problem behaviours, promoting healthy psychological development, and improving educational outcomes for at-risk youth from single parent homes. The programs match at-risk youth in NYC with fully screened and trained caring adult mentors who provide the support, advice, and friendship that may be missing from their lives. Having a caring adult mentor helps youth learn to make positive decisions, leading to stronger youth development outcomes.
The US Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention and the US Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration have listed BBBS of NYC protocol to be an Effective Model Program and found it to be a critical component of providing safe and impactful experiences for at-risk youth. The program model is also listed on the Social Impact Exchange’s top 100 agencies providing evidence-based programs to create social impact. Additionally, BBBS of NYC has a 4-star rating from Charity Navigator for sound fiscal management and commitment to accountability and transparency.
- Community Based Mentoring
This program matches 7-18 year old youths with an adult role model 21 years or older. They spend at least 8 hours per month one-to-one participating in activities of their choice in their own community. Approximately 99% of our Littles are minorities. Our Bronx, Queens, and Brooklyn Mentoring programs help us match Littles in the farther reaches of the boroughs to Bigs living in, or near, these communities.
- Education Initiative
In partnership with the City University of New York’s Think College Now program and Signet Tutoring, this initiative offers Littles academic enrichment programs including college-readiness workshops and computer tutoring stations as well as action-oriented academic intervention programs for our struggling Littles.
- Workplace Mentoring
Introduces students to the world of business through on-site, one-to-one mentoring from employees of participating companies. Every other week, students from area schools are brought into the city where they will meet with their Bigs. At present, over 40 of the city’s leading corporations take part in this program.
- College Success
This educational initiative seeks to help build college freshman Littles’ leadership skills as well as enhance their academic performance and career readiness. This initiative includes: individualized guidance, workshops, career development and social engagements. Through the program, a BBBS of NYC Success participant will navigate, integrate and excel on the college campus.
In accordance with BBBS of NYC’s mission, the Chief Executive Officer will work closely with the Board of Trustees, management, and staff to drive the ongoing success and growth of the organization. S/he will be responsible for providing inspirational and collaborative leadership to ensure the organization continues to deliver impactful mentoring programs to meet the unique and varied needs of New York City’s youth. Specific responsibilities include:
- Strategic Vision, Business Planning and Execution: Develops and drives the strategic vision and business plan of the organization;; drives a collaborative process with the Board and staff. Uses performance metrics and quality indicators to guide operational decision-making.
- Talent Management: Attracts, retains, and develops high calibre talent. Creates an environment where staff are engaged and are supported to be able to positively impact objectives.
- Fund Development: Leads the organization in the development and cultivation of fruitful and long-term relationships with individuals, foundations, corporate donors/funders, and government. Personally, builds and maintains key relationships to ensure fund development strategy is achieved.
- Programs: Works with senior staff to ensure programmatic excellence and maximum program impact is achieved by establishing operational benchmarks, setting timelines, obtaining required resources, and making youth safety a priority. Ensures comprehensive marketing strategies are developed to attract, engage and mobilize significant numbers of volunteer mentors.
- Financial Management: Develops plans that maximize the financial strength of the agency without adversely affecting other criteria of success. Communicates the key performance levers and manages to these measures. Oversees implementation of budgets and monitors progress/changes related to budgets.
- Ambassador and Spokesperson: Represents Big Brothers Big Sisters of NYC in front of a diversity of audiences and at all external events. Positively influences partners, the media and public policies to generate volunteers, donors and other resources.
- Board: Cultivates a strong Board of Trustees willing to lead and contribute to the fund development success of the organization. Works to assure independent governance oversight and performance accountability of the board.
The CEO must be passionate about youth and changing the trajectory for NYC’s most vulnerable children. This individual will be a dynamic and energetic leader who exhibits confidence, a collaborative spirit, and an inspired approach that will influence and motivate the key stakeholders, donors, partners, and staff. Candidates will be considered across sectors who bring 7-10 years of demonstrated success in executive-level leadership including staff leadership, fundraising/revenue generation, partnership development and financial management.
Specific experience/qualifications sought include:
- Proven experience as a visionary and strategic leader;; knowledge of how high- performing organizations operate and ability to implement best practices.
- A highly communicative leadership style that fosters an environment of trust and inspires excitement and collaboration across constituents.
- Ability to serve as the principal spokesperson and ambassador, including building bridges and creating fruitful relationships with strategic partners, government and community leaders.
- Exceptional board relations and management experience;; an understanding of how to energize influential leaders and leverage the collective power of the organization.
- Extraordinary judgment and the highest ethical standards, embodying the spirit and mission of BBBS of NYC.
- Experience in creating and executing a strategic plan that evolves an organization and coalesces stakeholders around shared goals.
- Fundraising experience at the highest levels;; a known relationship builder who is adept and authentic in influencing. (Other revenue generating experience may also be considered.)
- Proven success in managing a high-performing team;; experience creating and setting goals, articulating a vision, and developing team members.
- Experience managing a highly motivated and compassionate team and core of volunteers.
- Experience within New York City may be a plus, but is not required.
An undergraduate degree is required;; an advanced degree is preferred.
A comprehensive, competitive compensation package will be offered to the successful candidate.
To apply, fill out application here.