Agency: Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Triangle
Position: Director of Development
Location: Morrisville, NC
For more than 20 years, Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Triangle (BBBST) has been Eastern North Carolina’s premier mentoring organization, defending the potential of future leaders in the community by matching at-risk youth (Littles) with committed adult mentors (Bigs). These relationships empower Littles to achieve success in life and become productive members of the community.
Each time Big Brothers Big Sisters pairs a child with a role model, we start something incredible: a one-to-one relationship built on trust and friendship that can blossom into a future of unlimited potential. We believe that all youth have the ability to overcome obstacles and we advocate for them to explore the endless possibilities of what they can accomplish. We create mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth and develop a web of support that helps maximize the likelihood that a Big Brothers Big Sisters relationship will thrive.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Triangle is hiring a Director of Development (DOD) to lead and cultivate the implementation of a diversified, integrated fundraising strategy for the agency. The DOD should have extensive experience with the creation and support of a robust fundraising strategy with an emphasis in individual giving, along with experience in development of innovative initiatives that drive fundraising growth, adaptability, and sustainability. The DOD will lead and manage a small, growing, professional development team. Serving as an advisor and partner to the CEO and Leadership Team, the DOD collaborates with BBBST staff, supports the Board of Directors, and builds support within the community to further the vision of the organization.
Passion for the Mission
The DOD will embrace and embody the mission of Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Triangle and its commitment to empowering and inspiring every young person to reach their full potential. The DOD will flourish in a fast paced, purpose-driven environment. This leader will be energized working as a local affiliate of a national organization while continually innovating to help expand the reach of the fundraising strategy. This leadership role will be a proven communicator with a track record of securing significant financial support through individuals, grant funders, and corporate supporters.
Commitment to JEDI
It’s not enough to say we are committed to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI). We have to work intentionally and diligently to bring about change. To empower the potential of all young people, we have to ensure all young people have the opportunity to have a strong mentoring relationship in their lives. We are actively working to promote justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion throughout our organization. This commitment extends not only to an inclusive hiring and recruitment practice, but also to the policies, processes, and procedures that our staff, families, mentors, donors, and community partners rely upon to create connections within the Triangle communities we serve. The DOD will embrace, reflect and advocate for this commitment.
The DOD will be an experienced leader in the field of development with a measurable track record of success, particularly in cultivation of and stewardship of individual giving activities. A strategic and results-oriented leader, the DOD sets and articulates a vision for the organization’s current and future state of fundraising plans and approach. The DOD is a candidate that possesses strong consensus building attributes, has a passion for empowering the potential of young people, and can set a vision and execute with a hands-on, foundation-building style. This leader will treat others with respect, champion collaboration, professional development, and innovation amongst all levels of the organization. The DOD will have experience working closely with a board, President and/or CEO, staff, and other constituents. The DOD will bring experience working within a fast-paced, non-profit environment. Federated model knowledge and experience is preferred. A deeply skilled and well connected leader, the DOD will be a persuasive speaker, writer, and skilled listener with confidence, creativity, and sophistication to appeal to partners and donors across the Triangle. The DOD will have a work history that demonstrates measurable, proven fundraising success and experience supervising dedicated, dynamic team members.
The Director of Development essential roles and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Creates, leads, and is responsible for the implementation of a diversified, integrated fundraising strategy that includes, but not limited to: individual gifts, major and planned giving, donor-advised funds, corporate and grant/foundation giving, and event fundraising
- Manages all fundraising events for the agency, currently Bowl For Kids’ Sake, Stroll For Kids’ Sake, and the Big Night Ball.
- Raises funds for BBBST’s operating budget and restricted priorities with an emphasis on accelerating individual giving and continued growth in corporate, foundation, and major fundraising events.
- Develop, lead, and execute a comprehensive campaign aligned to BBBST’s strategic plan and supporting revenue opportunities across our service area.
- Oversees stewardship strategy of BBBST gifts and guides communications and cultivation of BBB donors.
- Formulates short- and long-term fundraising goals concerning the fundraising efforts of the organization.
- Discovers and stewards new and potentially lucrative revenue streams for the expansion of the organization’s fundraising efforts and anticipates and responds to changing business environment.
- In collaboration with the CEO, tracks revenue and fundraising trends, then uses the information to predict future opportunities for expansion efforts and avoids any downtrends in individual, corporate, or foundation gifts.
- Manage development operations and processes for donor acknowledgement, engagement, and recognition.
- Drives major gift strategy in partnership with Chief Executive Officer.
- Develops, edits, and revises written proposals, letters, and other communications for individuals, corporations, foundations, and grantors.
- Translates organizational vision, strategy, goals, and performance targets into fundraising opportunities.
- Oversees, coordinates, and connects the work and vision of BBBST and BBBSA to generate increased revenue and partnership opportunities.
- Leads the development of the strategies, structure, and operating systems to achieve short- and long-term fundraising goals.
- Creates and communicates a compelling case of the BBBST vision and strategy to individuals, corporations, foundations, and other audiences.
- Anticipates and responds to changing business conditions with innovative and creative solutions.
- Assures resource development and marketing strategies are aligned and integrated to achieve effective and impactful outcomes.
- Provides oversight for the agency’s development team and ensures growth toward strategic plan goals.
- Builds strong relationships with major BBBST donors.
- Utilizes technology to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Provides support for board meetings including creation and delivery of presentations as needed.
- Develops relationships with members of the Board of Directors and encourages them to give personally and generates funds from others.
- Leads agency Fund Development committee.
- Leads special projects as needed.
- Creates and supports a dynamic, supportive, and effective development team.
- Demonstrates a commitment to cultural diversity and inclusion that reflects BBBST/s commitment to JEDI (justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion).
- Recruits, trains, retains, and cultivates professional development of departmental staff.
- Leads and manages resources (people and capital) that retains and cultivates positive, measurable success.
- Monitors progress against performance targets; implements countermeasures as needed.
- Key strategist and shaper of culture that embraces philanthropic partnerships.
- Provides consistent follow-up after meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Triangle to provide equal employment opportunities to all candidates and all employees without regard to race; color; religion; national origin; sex (including same sex); pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions; age; genetic information; disability; citizenship status; military status; veteran status; or any other category protected by law.
Americans with Disabilities Act
Employee must be able to perform all essential job functions, with or without reasonable accommodation.
The above statements reflect the general duties, responsibilities and competencies considered necessary to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the job and should not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements of the position. BBBST may change the specific job duties with or without prior notice based on the needs of the organization.
Please send cover letter, resume, and contact information for three to five references (including a past or present supervisor and/or Board member, a direct report, and a community partner) to Erin Callahan, BBBST CEO, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be reviewed and processed on a rolling basis with preference given to applications received by Friday, February 11, 2022 at 5:00pm. Early submission is encouraged. The target hiring salary for this position is $60,000 – $70,000 at this time. BBBST offers a comprehensive benefits package for full-time employees. BigsTri.org