Director of Development
The Director of Development is responsible for the development and fundraising efforts that support the mission of the Agency. This includes relationship management, supporting and enhancing a culture of giving, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of individual and corporate donors to help fulfill Agency objectives.
The Director of Development will report to the CEO.
• Communicate Big Brothers Big Sisters vision, mission and values to public, donors and persons of influence.
• Setting and achieving, in close collaboration with the CEO, multi-year and annual agency revenue goals.
• Developing and implementing a written plan for identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding individual, foundation and corporate donors capable of giving over time.
• Managing a portfolio of 150 to 200 prospective donors.
o Making 10-15 visits per month.
o Developing and implementing written strategies based on capacity and readiness to give.
• Conduct donor stewardship, manage information systems (gift entry; database management; report generation), and prospect research.
• Developing and implementing a Planned Giving program.
• Serves as a vital member of the leadership team by staying abreast of organization-wide issues and contributing to the development and achievement of the Agency’s long-term operation plans.
• Plan, coordinate and implement fundraising events throughout the year including but not limited to Poker Tournaments, Virtual Events, Golf Tournament, Fishing Tournament, Gala, Fashion Show and Annual Fund Campaign.
• Review all special events determining their continued viability and the potential for new ones, following trends and incorporating innovative fundraising ideas.
• Recruit, engage and cultivate relationships with President’s Council Members. Identify leadership positions within the President’s Council.
• Collaborate with Program Department.
• Provide ongoing support to the Donation Center referring new sources of donations and companies to establish new strategic alliances with the Center.
• Website and other online social platform management; needs to be able to navigate Facebook page, craft unique and informative newsletters and e-blasts.
• Perform all administrative duties as needed.
• Additional tasks as deemed necessary.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Minimum 5 – 7 years’ experience in fund development
• Must have a clean, valid, NYS Driver’s License. Ability to travel throughout Nassau & Suffolk Counties
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Demonstrated experience managing a portfolio of donor and potential donors with a proven track record of building relationships.
• Effective, experienced and confident public speaker.
• Expertise in forging strong relations with external constituents; fundraising experience, particularly in securing gifts and/or working with high net worth individuals.
• Ability to motivate and lead staff, volunteers and members of the donor community.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office; Constant Contact, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign highly preferred.
A successful Director of Development will be energetic and self-driven, outgoing and personable, must be able to motivate, engage and lead staff, volunteers and members of the donor community. An articulated belief in the mission of Big Brothers Big Sisters of LI and the ability to communicate effectively the mission, vision and values to the public. The ability to grow strong and trusting relationships to foster new and existing supporters while determining how a donor would be interested in supporting the organization is essential.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, reach with hands and arms, talk, and hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Westbury, NY 11590
We offer a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental, vision, retirement plan and student loan reimbursement assistance and generous paid time off.
Please submit cover letter, including salary requirements, and resume via mail, email or fax to:
Director of Human Resources
145 Sycamore Avenue
Islandia, NY 11749
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Long Island is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.