Reports To: CEO
Director of Marketing and Communications will develop and execute a best in class communication plan for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Carolinas (BBBSCC), with both an internal and external focus. Managing communications and a broad range of public relations activities that promote, enhance and protect the organizations’ brand, advance the agency’s position with relevant constituents, drive boarder community awareness and forward our strategic direction
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (IN PRIORITY ORDER)
- Develop and execute an integrated strategic marketing and communication plan to achieve agency objectives by advancing BBBSCC’s brand identity; increasing awareness of its programs and priorities; and increasing its visibility across key stakeholder audiences.
- Capitalize on opportunities such as National Mentoring Month and National Volunteer Week to position BBBSCC as the premier youth –serving organization in Charlotte, Cabarrus and York County.
- Create public relations strategy that will allow BBBSCC’s leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media and key influencers.
- Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions. Define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Identify unique and cost effective ways for BBBSCC to communicate with its target audiences. Desired focus is on using social media.
- Provide leadership and direction for the Marketing Committee and serve as an agency leadership team member. Assist in develop and execution of agency wide tactical and strategic direction.
- Maintain knowledge of Big Brothers Big Sisters of America (national) marketing opportunities and incorporate into local plan, when applicable.
- Develop metrics to evaluate the success of communications activities and initiatives. Produce and analyze data and reports as needed.
- Responsible for editorial direction, design, production and distribution of all organization materials including print and electronic assets.
- Coordinate media interest in the organization and ensure regular contact with target media and appropriate response to media requests.
- Act as the organization’s representative with the media. Prepare Executive Director and other appointed media representatives for media interviews and appearances.
- Oversee regular and relevant market research. Monitor trends.
Education Level: (minimum & preferred educational requirements necessary to perform this job successfully)
Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, communications or related field required: an advance degree in a relevant field is preferred.
Years of Related Work Experience: (minimum & preferred related work experience necessary perform this job successfully)
3-5 years experience in communications planning, writing editing, and production of newsletters press release, annual reports, marketing literature, and other print publications preferred.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
|Excellent written and verbal communications skills.||X|
|Excellent organizational skills/ability to oversee multiple projects simultaneously||X|
|Demonstrated relationship-building skills.||X|
|Ability to work as a team member||X|
|Knowledge of Microsoft Office products||X|
|Knowledge of nonprofit sector||X|
|Understanding of agency’s mission and population served||X|
|Public speaking experience||X|
|Minimum one year experience developing and implementing social media strategies||X|
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS (LIST AS A % OF TOTAL WORK TIME)
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS (Describe any specific work place conditions and/or physical abilities that are related to and/or required by this job)
While performing the duties of the job, the employee will work in an office environment and is required to work predominantly standing, sitting, walking, using hands and arms, typing using a computer, answering the telephone and reaching with hands and arms.
|Able to build strong working relationship with agency staff and matches: identify unexpressed customer needs and potential solutions to meet those needs; independently anticipate and meet customer match support needs: prioritize work in alignment with the needs of the match; use knowledge and feedback to improve the effectiveness of own support results.
|Problem Solving & Analysis
|Able to gather appropriate data and diagnose the cause of a problem before taking action: separate causes from symptoms; apply lessons learned from others who encountered similar problems or challenges: anticipate problems and develop contingency plans to deal with them; develop and evaluate alternative courses of action.
|Flexibility & Achieving Change
|Able to positively deal with changes that affect job requirements or work assignments; adapt to shifting priorities in response to the needs of matches; quickly recognize situations/conditions where change is needed remain calm and professional in emotionally charged interactions; work to clarify situations where information, instruction, or objectives are ambiguous; support organizational change.
|Continuous Improvement & Gets Results
|Able to identify and apply ‘best practices’ in own work; improve efficiency by planning and organizing work effectively, eliminating barriers and stream lining work processes: monitor, evaluate and track own performance; adapt work practices in order to meet goals and deadlines; persist in the face of ongoing obstacles or setbacks; accept responsibility for the quality and outcomes of own work.
|Decisiveness & Judgment
|Able to demonstrate sound judgment in routine, day-to-day decisions: think critically to make decisions and take action, even in non-routine solutions; rapidly make reasonable assessments with limited information; consider impact of various options when making decisions; use sound judgment in deciding whether to make a decision or escalate it to a supervisor for additional consultation.
|Able to use active and attentive listening to confirm understanding; coach others through the use of reflective questioning; personalize communications content and delivery to fit different perspectives, backgrounds or styles of audience; document information about matches clearly and concisely in order to keep records accurate and up to date.
|Able to align own work objectives with the organization’s strategic plan or objectives; take organizational priorities into consideration when making choices and trade-offs in own work; act with an understanding of how the community affects the business and how own action and decisions affect other jobs or outcomes; maintain perspective between the overall picture and tactical details.
| Able to seek out and work effectively with others who have diverse perspectives; talents; background and/ or styles; contribute to a team climate in which differences are valued and supported; challenge any stereotyping or offensive comments; seek and respond to feedback from others about his/her own behavior that might be perceived as biased.
Equal Employment Opportunity
BBBSA provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, or non-disqualifying physical or mental handicap or disability, or any other federal, state of local protected class.
Americans with Disabilities Act
Applicants as well as employees who are or become disabled must be able to perform the essential duties & responsibilities either unaided or with reasonable accommodation. The organization shall determine reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis in accordance with applicable law.
The above statements reflect the general duties, responsibilities and competencies considered necessary to perform the essential duties & responsibilities of the job and should not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements of the position. BBBSCC may change the specific job duties with or without prior notice based on the needs of the organization.
The cover letter and resumes should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.