Position: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Agency: Big Brothers Big Sisters Greater Fredericksburg Virginia
Location: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Big Brothers Big Sisters Greater Fredericksburg Virginia seeks a dynamic and results-oriented Executive Director to grow our youth mentoring organization and deepen our impact and relevance to the communities we serve (Planning District 16 – City of Fredericksburg, Counties of Stafford, Spotsylvania, King George and Caroline).
The Executive Director will lead the organization to achieve their mission to create and support one-to-one mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth and fulfilling their vision that all youth achieve their full potential. Big Brothers Big Sisters matches children ages 6-18 with volunteer mentors to help children facing adversity achieve measurable outcomes leading to lifelong success. Independent research has proven that our mentoring model has a direct, measurable, and lasting impact.
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and is responsible for programmatic, fundraising, marketing, financial and administrative management of the organization.
The Executive Director will be expected to play a strong, visible, and strategic role in developing and implementing strategic plans to promote growth, impact, and long-term sustainability. Effective fundraising and the ability to cultivate relationships especially with major donors and key stakeholders, is an essential part of this job, as is development and management of a talented staff. The Executive Director will be expected to work closely and productively with the Board of Directors and with active committees engaged in substantive roles in Fund Development and Governance.
The ideal candidate will be an exceptional communicator with a deep commitment to youth development and will possess fund development experience; enthusiasm for developing resources to support the mission of Big Brothers Big Sisters; a clear understanding of the value of a broad and diverse volunteer base and how to achieve it; interest and skill in Board and staff development; and the ability to serve as an articulate and persuasive spokesperson for the organization.
Leadership and Program Development:
- Create an inspiring and engaging environment for staff
- Work with the Board of Directors, Staff, and affiliate leaders to establish the strategic direction to meet the BBBS mission.
- Develop and execute plans for building engagement/retention/expansion of Staff, donors, and mentors
- Oversee all organizational programs, ensuring full compliance with the BBBS of America Standards of Practice; ensuring programmatic objectives are met or exceeded; preparing reports of program evaluation to determine impact; analyzing data to improve program quality for youth outcomes.
- Be a thought leader by continuously gaining professional knowledge of the latest research on mentoring, positive youth development, education, adverse childhood experiences and resiliency.
- Represent organization at the local, state, and national levels effectively, including but not limited to peer cohorts, innovation projects, and committees
Financial Sustainability and Fund Development:
- Coordinate with the Board and the staff members to develop a comprehensive fundraising strategy with diverse revenue streams.
- Conduct ongoing evaluation of current and potential funding opportunities
- Responsible for expanding the philanthropic support for the organization through identification and cultivation of foundations, corporate sources, and individuals
- Responsible for planning and implementation of all fundraising events
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of the organization, including submission of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements to the Board which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization
- Maintaining a balanced budget while demonstrating sound judgment and fiscal responsibility
- Responsible for managing relationships and funds through all outside partner sources, such as the United Way and Community Foundation
- Management of all grant writing, grant deliverables, and grant reporting
- Ensure compliance with state and federal regulations
- Partner with the Board President in planning the agenda and materials for Board meetings
- Initiate and assist in developing policy recommendations and in setting priorities
- Facilitate recruiting and orientation of new Board Members
- Partner with the Board to raise funds
- Support Board committees
Brand Development and Community Engagement:
- Build brand awareness through strategic marketing and promotion of the BBBS Brand through print, email, and social media channels to inspire new volunteers, donors, and community partners to support the mission.
- Serve as chief liaison with specific community groups to promote awareness of programs and results
- Serve as BBBS’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media, and the general public
- Ensure appropriate representation of BBBS by all staff
- Coordinate representation of BBBS to legislative bodies and other groups as needed
- Develop and facilitate an active planning process
- Develop organizational goals and objectives consistent with the mission and vision of BBBS
- Responsible for hiring, training, and retaining motivated, innovative, highly qualified staff
- Develop and administer operational policies
- Provide ongoing evaluation of the organization’s activities to strengthen and sustain organization operations.
- Assess technology needs and implement new technology programs to maximize organizational efficiencies.
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization
- Commitment to BBBS’s vision and mission.
- A bachelor’s degree. Master’s preferred.
- Senior nonprofit management experience, including administration, staff supervision, strategic planning, evaluation, budgeting, and organizational innovation
- Experience and knowledge of the fields of education, positive youth development, adversity and resiliency, social services and/or psychology.
- Experience and skill in working with a Board of Directors
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff
- High level strategic thinking and planning. Ability to envision and successfully convey the organization’s strategic future to the Staff, Board, volunteers, and donors
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation
- Strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting
- A record of successful fundraising with proven experience with individual, corporate and foundation donors
- Previous success in establishing relationships with individuals and organizations of influence including funders, partner agencies and volunteers
- Active fundraising experience with demonstrated results. Excellent donor relations skills and understanding of the funding community
- Extraordinary communicator and relationship builder with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Ability to effectively communicate the organization’s mission to donors, volunteers, and the overall community
- Strong computer literacy is a must
- Demonstrated cultural competency and the ability to implement diversity, equity, and inclusion strategies
- Transparent and high integrity leadership
- Strong work ethic with a high degree of energy and emotional intelligence
Competitive compensation commensurate with qualifications. Benefits include paid holiday and vacation time off, retirement contribution, long term disability policy, professional development opportunities, and a flexible work environment.
Send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline to apply – February 25th.
BBBS Greater Fredericksburg, 325A Wallace Street, Fredericksburg, VA 22401.