Position Title: Executive Director
Location: Towanda, PA
Reports To: Board of Directors
Salary: Competitive Salary Commensurate with Experience
Overtime Status: Exempt
To apply: Please submit resume via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
EDUCATION & RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE
(minimum & preferred educational requirements necessary to perform this job successfully)
Bachelor’s Degree in business administration; Graduate level degree preferred.
Years of Related Work Experience:
(minimum & preferred related work experience necessary perform this job successfully)
Minimum of 7 years of proven results in building an organization and achieving results.
Skills and Knowledge
- Strategic thinking, planning, and project/ process/systems management skills.
- Entrepreneurial approach to the use of scarce resources.
- Knows how to manage simultaneously for short, mid and long term results.
- Strategic and visionary leader.
- Proven interpersonal and team building skills.
- Board development.
- Fund development.
- Excellent verbal/written communications and confidence in public speaking situations.
- Ability to lead complex, multi-component projects to successful outcomes. Ability to negotiate and influence effectively in high impact situations with stakeholders at all levels
- Ability to effectively motivate, develop and manage the work of others in a dynamic, complex and fast-paced work environment.
- Intermediate MS Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Lead Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Twin Tiers to ensure that the mission, strategy, values and goals of the organization are achieved.
Service Area: Bradford County PA, Tioga County PA, Sullivan County PA, Tioga County NY, Broome County NY.
Office Location: BBBS has a main office in Towanda, PA, a satellite office in Wellsboro, PA and a satellite office in Endicott, NY. The ED will work primarily from the Towanda office but will be required to travel regularly to the satellite offices to supervise and support local staff, develop community networks, and attend advisory committee meetings.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Business Planning and Execution- Develop and drive the strategic plan of the organization within the context of the nationwide strategic direction; drive a collaborative process with the Board and staff. Use performance metrics and quality indicators to guide operational decision-making.
Board Development– Helps cultivate a strong Board of Directors willing to lead and contribute to the fund development, oversight, governance and general success of the organization. Works to assure independent governance, oversight and performance accountability of the board.
Talent Management –Attracts, retains, develops and leverages staff talent. Creates an environment where staff is engaged and performing at high levels. Institutes and utilizes an effective performance management system for all employees that include annual objective setting and evaluation.
Financial Management – Develops plans that maximize the financial strength of the agency without adversely affecting other criteria of success (e.g., child safety, participant satisfaction, quality of service). Communicates the key performance levels and manages to these measures.
Fund Development – Pro-actively ensures that the organization develops strong long term relationships with large scale individual, foundation and corporate donors/funders. Personally, builds and maintains key relationships to ensure fund development strategy is achieved. Writes, submits, implements, tracks and manages grants on the local, state, and, as possible, federal level.
Program Impact – Ensures that comprehensive marketing strategies are developed to attract, engage and mobilize significant numbers of volunteer mentors. Ensures programmatic excellence and maximum program impact is achieved by establishing operational benchmarks, setting timelines and making child safety top priority.
Ambassador and Spokesperson – Represents Big Brothers Big Sisters at external partnership events and with the media. Positively influences partners, the media and public to generate volunteers, donors and other resources.
Other duties as assigned
Strategic and Visionary Leadership
- Thinks big picture, separating the critical from the routine. Develops vision and
- strategies that position the organization for growth. Provides focus for organization.
- Gains commitment from others to achieve the vision.
- Allocates and aligns resources to achieve strategy; forecasts and prepares for contingencies.
Trusted Influencer and Relationship Builder
- Invests in internal and external relationships that are sustainable over time and builds strong teams.
- Actively networks with potential strategic partners and individuals and coaches his/her team to form partnerships and collaborations as well.
- Models and requires collaboration with others, taking time to build trust and explore mutual interests. Builds commitment vs. compliance.
- Passes on to managers insights about potentially challenging dynamics in the organization; coaches managers around how to navigate difficult relationships and form effective relationships with others.
Ethics and Values
- Translates and operationalizes vision in a way that is grounded in the agency shared values.
- Acts in an ethical manner reflecting core values of integrity, transparency, accountability, respect and responsibility. Acts above reproach in all that is done on behalf of BBBS.
- Models openness, honesty and accountability to colleagues, volunteers, donors and all others involved with BBBS.
- Provides a work environment that values diversity and inclusion among volunteers and employees regardless of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, age, veteran status or disability.
Enterprise and Systems Thinking
- Employs a broad perspective to balance priorities in a way that accomplishes the overall goals of the agency.
- Demonstrates understanding of the financial and other drivers that influence agency success; uses this business acumen to influence others, create shared goals and drive initiatives.
- Reconciles tension between growth and stability; allocates resources in order to build and leverage multiple capabilities to capture funding opportunities.
- Thoughtfully reaches decisions and evaluates the impact of decisions on agency systems, processes and people.
Drive for Results and Performance
- Sets and executes high-performance targets through focus and drive toward a measurable standard of excellence.
- Establishes systems and processes that hold managers/employees accountable for their actions and results; motivates Board and staff to create a high performance culture.
- Shows resilience when targets are not met; develops action plans to address shortfalls; incorporates performance feedback from others and makes adjustments; can be counted on to ‘come back strong’ rather than lose drive.
- Focuses on migrating authority and decision making to the lowest possible levels to lead an efficient, action-oriented and learning culture; accepts the associated risks and mistakes in the spirit of continuous learning.
- Champions change initiatives undertaken by the agency by leading and energizing others around such strategies.
- Aligns all aspects of the organization (structure, process, culture, rewards, employees, volunteers) to achieve change goals.
- Introduces change at a pace that is grounded in the need to achieve strategic objectives.
- Identifies significant obstacles or resistance to change and works to resolve issues by pulling (influencing), rather than pushing others to change.
- Solicits input from employees about changes and addresses them.
Equal Employment Opportunity
BBBS provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, or non-disqualifying physical or mental handicap or disability.
Americans with Disabilities Act
Applicants as well as employees who are or become disabled must be able to perform the essential job functions either unaided or with reasonable accommodation. The organization shall determine reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis in accordance with applicable law.
The above statements reflect the general duties, responsibilities and competencies considered necessary to perform the essential functions of the job and should not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements of the position. BBBSA may change the specific job duties with or without prior notice based on the needs of the organization.