Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence
Position: Manager, Grants
Location: Philadelphia, PA
AGENCY OVERVIEW JOIN A FORWARD-THINKING ORGANIZATION THAT HAS BEEN PROVEN TO MAKE A POSITIVE IMPACT ON CHILDREN’S LIVES. Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence (BBBSI) is proud to have achieved a 4-star rating by Charity Navigator, their highest level of distinction. BBBSI is the largest BBBS agency in PA/NJ and fourth largest in the nation. Our mission is to create and support one-to-one mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth, while working collaboratively with corporations, government and community partners to strengthen the quality of the mentoring field and close the mentoring gap.
Reporting to the VP of Advancement, the Grants Manager will be responsible for a robust portfolio totaling approximately $2 million annually, while leading the Agency’s grant writing efforts including all Letters of Intent, proposals, and required reports for foundation, corporate and government sources.
Candidates with a strong connection to the community that BBBSI serves and the Southeastern Pennsylvania/ Southern New Jersey area are given preferential consideration. Occasional travel to events is required, as is some night and weekend work.
Leadership, Management, Accountability
1. Take overall responsibility for the full portfolio of grants (currently worth $2 million), including the whole grants life cycle, from grant design, selection, start-up, implementation through to grant closure, ensuring compliance with internal procedures and donor regulations
2. Identify and develop strategies to optimize the grants administration process
3. Maintain calendar and establish project plans for grants and manage timelines and deliverables to meet deadlines for grant submissions and reporting requirements; keep relevant staff informed about upcoming deadlines and deliverables, thereby ensuring smooth completion of work responsibilities
4. Manage and track the grants process in Indyforce (Salesforce CRM) for both new and current grants, and partner with Finance and other relevant staff to ensure thorough and accurate record-keeping/reconciliation, and effective reporting on grant-related metrics
Fundraising: Corporate & Private Foundations, Government
5. Maintain and grow a robust grant portfolio from foundation, corporate, and government sources, raising at least $2M annually
6. Develop a pipeline of relevant national corporate and private foundations, performing prospect research to evaluate fit based on existing organizational priorities/programs and new potential opportunities using Foundation Center and other relevant directories
7. Cultivate and steward relationships with appropriate prospects and existing grantors across segments
8. Develop and write grant proposals, collaborating across the agency to develop project narratives that are aligned with agency mission, priorities, and capabilities and ensuring accurate accompanying budgets
9. Develop and maintain a full range of templates, match stories and other materials needed
Grant Reporting: Corporate & Private Foundations, Government
10. Manage the preparation of high quality reporting to grantors to meet deadlines
11. Ensure that all compliance requirements are met
Academic: Minimum – Bachelor’s degree is required; master’s degree preferred
Professional: Minimum of 3 years as a grants manager, human services environment preferred. Experience writing local, state, or federally funded grants required. Experience in preparing budgets for grant submissions required. Project management skills and knowledge of auditing policies a plus. Ability to work with many diverse constituencies. Proficiency in Microsoft Office and donor CRM packages required (Salesforce preferred).
Personal Attributes: Results/outcome orientation with a proven track record of exceeding goals, strong written and verbal communication skills, ability to think strategically and anticipate future consequences, action oriented and promoter of operational agility to meet changing client/constituent needs/environmental changes. Attentive and active listening skills, organization, and evidence of a commitment to lifelong learning and professional growth are expected. Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation. Our best employees 1) set the bar high 2) are intentional and thoughtful about their choices 3) collaborate as a means to community solutions 4) are positive, can-do, and solution-oriented 5) embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion, and 6) are accountable and get it done.
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted online at: http://bbbsi.gatherdocs.com/. Note: only those applicants believed to be viable candidates for this opportunity will be contacted. No phone calls or 3rd party solicitation please.
BBBSI promotes a culture of inclusion and seeks talented staff from diverse backgrounds. BBBSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected factor.