Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence
Position: Human Resources Generalist
Location: Philadelphia, PA
JOIN A FORWARD-THINKING ORGANIZATION THAT HAS BEEN PROVEN TO MAKE A POSITIVE IMPACT ON CHILDREN’S LIVES. Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence (BBBSI) is proud to have achieved a 4-star rating by Charity Navigator, their highest level of distinction. BBBSI is the largest BBBS agency in PA/NJ and fourth largest in the nation. Our mission is to build and support one-to-one relationships to ignite the biggest possible futures for youth. We also strive to strengthen the youth mentoring field through collaboration, training and technical assistance, data collection, and advocacy.
Reporting to the Director of Human Resources, the Human Resources Generalist is responsible for recruitment, onboarding, performance review management, employee relations, discipline assistance, compliance, and benefits administration. This individual serves as a full service human resources professional able to answer and assist in various duties to support the human resource management function. The HR Generalist will work closely with internal and external clients to ensure positive HR outcomes, and ensures that operating policies and procedures established for the human resource function are followed.
Leadership, Management, and Accountability
- Lead talent acquisition for all non-Executive staff positions; manage all aspects of staff recruitment, new hire process, and onboarding
- Manage compensation & benefits design/administration & payroll
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of changing employment regulations; implement policies, procedures and systems to ensure federal and state regulatory compliance and any impending changes; manage federal/state reporting (i.e., EEO, workers compensation, OSHA); ensure all notices and policies are communicated and updated; monitor tracking and prepare reports required for compliance
- Establish and report on key performance indicators related to staff recruitment and retention, compensation, and benefits design
Staff Recruitment, Hiring, Onboarding
- Serve as the lead on talent acquisition for all non-Executive staff positions; manage all aspects of staff recruitment, new hire process, and onboarding including:
- Ensure up to date job descriptions and disseminate through diverse channels
- Conduct phone screens; set up candidate interviews; submit approval requests to Senior Leadership; extend verbal and written offers; negotiate salaries
- Conduct pre-employment background checks
- Coordinate with Hiring Managers to enhance processes for engagement and onboarding
- Onboard candidates in HRIS and Payroll Systems (Paylocity, AMS, and Matchforce)
- Gather and file all new hire onboarding paperwork
- Schedule Orientations, send out orientation calendar, and track participation
- Coordinate with IT and ensure new hires are equipped with laptops, phone, ID, Keys, and other equipment relevant to their position
- Maintain job descriptions and organization chart / accountability charts; monitor salaries
- Work with Director, Human Resources to develop new means to attract and retain high-potential, diverse staff; establish and monitor metrics to ensure diversity in candidate slates
Compensation & Benefits Design/Administration & Payroll
- Oversee benefit plan design, coordinate annual open enrollment, educate employees and address questions regarding their benefit options and total compensation; coordinate with benefits vendor; and propose additional benefit options pertinent to the organization’s workforce in conjunction with the HR Director
- Manage the interface between Paylocity and our benefit providers; provide payroll support to the Finance department and collaborate with finance team for payments, deductions, and invoice reconciliations; auditing and tracking payroll deductions and vendor enrollment; comply with local, state, and federal payroll regulations
- Input new hires into payroll system, update status changes and terminations, and answer inquiries; maintain current employee records with all relevant and benefit-impacting information (i.e., marital status, years of service, hours worked, qualifying life event documentation);
- Coordinate leaves of absence and educate staff on intermingled benefit options (i.e., workers compensation, short/long-term disability insurance)
- Track Workers’ Compensation and Unemployment claims and hearings
Staff Engagement, Performance Management, and Training
- Proactively engage employees to improve working relationships, build morale, and increase productivity and retention
- Communicate openly and frequently, keeping staff informed on benefit resources, organizational events and other pertinent information
- Manage and resolve employee relations issues. Where applicable, conduct effective, thorough and objective investigations
- Track staff engagement efforts/reporting and provide support to HR Director in staff engagement initiatives
- Communicate regarding employee performance management and ensure adherence to defined processes; track employee performance management and performance review documents
- Facilitate agency HR related trainings; monitor employee training participation
JOB QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business, Psychology, or related field required
Professional: Minimum of 4 years of Human Resources experience, with a minimum of 2 years HR Generalist, HR Administration, or Business Partner experience, required. Prior experience working in an HR function in a non-profit, preferred. Experience in building inclusive and engaged workplaces; cultural awareness and sensitivity with lens on racial and gender equity. Demonstrated ability to foster trust & teamwork among direct reports, peers and throughout the organization. Strong verbal, written communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills. Able to work well with individuals at all levels, both within and outside the organization. Able to successfully manage multiple tasks, projects and priorities simultaneously.
Personal Attributes: Strong customer/client focus, strong communication and organizational skills, excellent listening and interpersonal skills. Open, approachable, and able to multi-task projects/assignments. Function well in a fast-paced environment, display a strong level of commitment and enthusiasm, demonstrate flexibility, and team player. Motivated to help deliver the core mission. Our best employees 1) set the bar high 2) are intentional and thoughtful about their choices 3) collaborate as a means to community solutions 4) are positive, can-do, and solution-oriented 5) embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion, and 6) are accountable and get it done
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted online at: http://bbbsi.gatherdocs.com/. Note: only those applicants believed to be viable candidates for this opportunity will be contacted. No phone calls or 3rd party solicitation please.
BBBSI promotes a culture of inclusion and seeks talented staff from diverse backgrounds. BBBSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected factor.