Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence
Position: LGBTQ+ Program & Resource Manager (Exempt, Full-time)
Location: Philadelphia, PA
AGENCY OVERVIEW & JOB DESCRIPTION:
JOIN A FORWARD-THINKING AGENCY THAT SEEKS TO ENSURE THAT ALL YOUTH ACHIEVE THEIR FULL POTENTIAL. Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence (BBBSI) is the largest BBBS agency in the state and fourth largest in the nation. Our mission is to create and support one-to-one mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth, while working collaboratively to strengthen the quality of the mentoring field and close the mentoring gap. BBBS Independence seeks a LGBTQ+ Program & Resource Manager to oversee the LGBTQ+ pilot program and to assist the agency in their diversity, equity and inclusion work. This position will play a critical role in developing the strategy for the program after the pilot program is complete. This position will report to the Director of School program and will supervise 1-2 Program Coordinators. This position requires frequent travel during the workday to area partner corporations and school locations within our 7-county service area in Southeastern PA and Southern NJ.
Leadership, Management, and Accountability:
- Supervise daily processing functions of 1-2 LGBTQ+ Program Coordinators; manages team member performance review process providing thoughtful input and feedback on performance for team member; and upholds, by example, appropriate standards of practice and effective performance of functions and procedures
- Foster a team culture of accountability, trust, professionalism and excellence
- Provide friendly, approachable customer service and represents the Agency and our mission in a professional and positive manner
- Contribute to planning and reporting on the BBBS National LGBTQ+ grant and in coordination with Advancement; meet regularly with program funders to update on pilot program progress
Vision, Research & Outcomes
- Assess and develop GSA program metrics and outcomes
- Develop and implement a needs assessment tool for partner schools
- Evaluate the success of the GSA pilot program and develop a sustainable strategy for integration into BBBSI program portfolio and scale-up
LGBTQ+ Program Oversight:
- Oversee Gender & Sexuality Alliance (GSA) programs at 2-4 schools by developing and implementing curriculum, placing BBBS Volunteer Advisors at the GSA programs, attending program meetings, and regularly checking in with volunteers, staff and youth to ensure child safety and success of the program
- Identify and vet new partner sites for the expansion of the BBBS GSA program
- Advocate in partner schools to improve the climate for LGBTQ+ youth
- Develop partnerships with LGBTQ+ serving agencies and employee resource groups to achieve recruitment goals alongside team members. Oversee volunteer enrollments by presenting volunteer information sessions, 1:1 volunteer interviews, assessments, and the completion of any other enrollment process
- Demonstrate a high level of proficiency in applying child safety and risk management knowledge, policies and procedures throughout all aspects of the job; identifies potential child safety issues for volunteers, children and their families as soon as possible, making sound decisions as a result
Agency & Community Resources
- Develop and facilitate quarterly LGBTQ+ trainings for volunteer mentors and partners
- Train all new staff on LGBTQ+ competencies; identify and share resources to better serve our LGBTQ+ population
Academic: Required: Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university (social services or related fields preferred); alternatively Associate’s degree and 4+ years of relevant work experience in related fields or high school diploma or equivalent and 8+ years of relevant work experience in related fields
Professional: 4+ years functional experience in a human services environment and supervisory experience strongly preferred. Experience working with youth service agencies and LGBTQ+ populations is strongly preferred. Proficiency in Microsoft Office packages required. Must have daily and dependable access to a car, valid driver’s license, and meet State-required automobile insurance minimums
Personal Attributes: Must demonstrate leadership, dedication, and an interpersonal savvy that helps establish effective relationships and an appropriate rapport with people; have attentive and active listening skills; take a sales/marketing approach to interaction with youth clients and volunteers; are results/outcome oriented; are approachable, organized; and demonstrate sound judgment in a leadership capacity. Our best employees 1) set the bar high 2) are intentional and thoughtful about their choices 3) collaborate as a means to community solutions 4) are positive, can-do, and solution-oriented 5) embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion, and 6) are accountable and get it done
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted online at: http://bbbsi.gatherdocs.com/.
WHO SHOULD APPLY
At BBBSI, we serve more than 3,100 children annually in Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties in Pennsylvania, and Burlington, Camden and Gloucester Counties in New Jersey. Our aspiration is to develop an organization that reflects our constituent base. BBBSI promotes a culture of inclusion and seeks talented staff from diverse backgrounds.
BBBSI is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status, first and second-generation immigrants, and people from low-income families, or any legally protected factor.