Position: Manager of Community Engagement and Recruitment
For more than 100 years, Big Brothers Big Sisters Twin Cities (BBBS) has matched young people (ages 8-13) with caring adult mentors to help change lives for the better. As the largest and most experienced mentoring agency in the region, we serve more than 3,000 Twin Cities youth every year with the support of our passionate and committed team members.
Justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI) are central to our mission and values, and BBBS strives to implement these ideals across all areas of our agency. We are committed to learning and taking a non-discriminatory, anti-racist, and anti-bias approach. We are dedicated to cultivating a safe environment where all individuals feel equally respected and valued.
Our mission is to create and support mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth. BBBS accomplishes its mission by:
- Providing deep and intentional partnerships with our youth
- Building and sustaining strong relationships with our Mentors
- Building a healthy organizational foundation
- Creating a workplace culture that represents our core values
- Transforming our community to understand the power of youth mentoring
BBBS’s vision is that all children achieve success in life.
|Supervisor: Vice President of Programs||Hiring Salary Range: $43,000 – 48,000|
|Position Title: Community Engagement & Recruitment Manager||Department: Programs|
|Job Type: Full-time, Exempt||Location: Twin Cities, MN|
|Hours/Days: Monday-Friday, 40+ hours a week, nights/weekends as necessary.||Closing Date: Open Until Filled|
Primary Function of the Position
Big Brothers Big Sisters Twin Cities’ Program Department provides high-quality youth development and mentoring services to BBBS’ participants through a variety of mentoring and youth programs, with the goal of ensuring healthy youth development through safe, positive and healthy mentoring relationships and other services and programming. The work of the department results in positive long-term outcomes for youth, families, and our community.
The Community Engagement and Recruitment Manager plays a critical role in ensuring that the agency has the right composition and number of participants (including youth, mentoring volunteers, and other volunteers), necessary to achieve agency goals for serving youth and making new community and site-based matches. The manager is responsible for meeting the agency’s recruitment objectives through strategic agency-wide collaboration. As part of this work, the manager works closely with organizations, residents, community partners, schools, corporations and businesses, civic leaders and others to develop strong partnerships through which the agency can engage with our community and engage new participants.
Essential Job Functions
- Recruitment: Develop and implement targeted volunteer and youth recruitment strategies.
- Collaborate and communicate with agency and program leaders to assess the needs for volunteer Bigs and youth participants, taking into account factors including geographic areas, demographics, and other needs to achieve agency participation goals.
- Develop and implement annual volunteer and youth recruitment plans; and make adaptations and revisions as needed to address current and anticipated needs for participants.
- Provide project management and coordinate of intra-agency efforts to recruit youth and volunteer participants.
- Responsive Recruitment Messaging: Actively coordinate messaging and communications around community outreach and youth and volunteer recruitment efforts.
- Work closely with the Marketing and Communications staff to coordinate the development of information for partners and potential program participants
- Develop and update content for information sessions delivered to potential volunteers, including community-based and corporate potential volunteers.
- Ensure core agency messaging is communicated across teams in varied formats (group in-person, webinar, individualized, recorded), incorporating agency communication themes and brand standards.
- Ensure that core agency messaging upholds the agency’s core values and its commitment to Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion and is adapted to meet the needs of different volunteers, youth/families and partners.
- Community Engagement: Build and sustain strong relationships that will support the agency’s advancement of its mission and fulfillment of strategic plans and objectives.
- Identify, develop, steward and manage partnerships with corporate affinity groups, municipalities, faith-based institutions and other organizations to reach and engage diverse volunteers.
- Identify, develop, steward and manage partnerships with community-based organizations, schools, nonprofits and others to generate youth enrollment necessary to achieve agency annual and grant/contract goals.
- Manage annual renewal planning for corporate, community, municipal, university and other pertinent volunteer recruitment partnerships.
- Make presentations to prospective volunteers and youth/families about the participation, program and services opportunities.
- Manage Salesforce CRM related to volunteer enrollment.
- Coordinate data management related to corporate/community partners with development staff to ensure records are maintained.
- Contribute to the overall success of the agency in order to achieve the BBBS mission
- Serve as a member of the Program Management Team.
- Support quality programming and innovation through the development of new initiatives, project designs and funding requests to advance BBBS’ mission.
- Coordinate with other program teams to ensure smooth transitions and consistent service delivery.
- Create and document agency policies, procedures and practices in areas of responsibility.
- Maintain data systems to track partnerships, volunteers and youth in process and create a record of activities and initiatives for regular reporting.
- Demonstrate respectful treatment of other employees, program participants and all stakeholders
- Develop and maintain sensitivity to employee diversity, and demonstrate cultural humility and competence in the workplace and in the services provided by the agency.
- Positively represent BBBS in the larger community, using professional written/verbal communications and dedication to high quality youth and customer service.
- Build community support by helping to recruit volunteers and youth.
- Initiate and foster a “culture of philanthropy” within the team and agency.
- Support the agency and the advancement of its mission through other work as needed/assigned.
Education and Experience
- Baccalaureate degree in social services, education or related field
- Minimum three (3) years of experience working with youth and families.
- Minimum two (2) years of experience in recruiting or sales preferred.
- Experience building strong partnerships and relationships with people from diverse backgrounds and partners, including corporations and community groups/organizations.
- Experience with public speaking and presenting (via live/recorded, in-person and virtual methods).
- Experience working with digital marketing preferred.
- Experience working in Salesforce preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated commitment to justice, equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Aligned with BBBS’ core values and committed to advancing our mission through mentoring and the positive youth development.
- Strong communicator who can effectively articulate opportunities for engagement to potential participants (including potential volunteers, parenting adults, and youth).
- Must be self-motivated and creative to develop new recruitment strategies.
- Superb persuasive communication skills – written and spoken.
- Demonstrated skills building strong and collaborative relationships with coworkers, partners and community members.
- Solid organizational, problem solving, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work proactively to solve problems and resolve conflicts with volunteers, partners, and coworkers.
- Detail-oriented and highly organized individual, able to plan and organize multiple projects simultaneously
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and current auto insurance coverage or have reliable transportation for meeting work responsibilities and priorities.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends, regularly, on-site and out in the community to engage and connect with families, partners, the community, and potential volunteers.
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, copy machines and filing cabinets. This role must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time.
BBBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- People of color, LGBTQ, women, people with disability, and veterans are highly encouraged to apply
The above statements are not intended to encompass all functions and qualifications of the position. Rather, they are intended to provide a general framework of the requirements of the position. Employees may be required to perform other functions not specifically addressed in this job description.
To apply, please visit https://www.bigstwincities.org/careers/
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to the Human Resources team at firstname.lastname@example.org.