Position Title: Mentoring Services Program Manager
Department: Youth Mentoring
Status: Full-time (38-hour work week), Exempt Professional
Agency Location: Based in Los Angeles
Working Location: Currently remote (during COVID) but must be based in Los Angeles. Conditional, partial remote options available after COVID.
JOIN A FORWARD-THINKING ORGANIZATION THAT HAS BEEN PROVEN TO MAKE A POSITIVE IMPACT ON CHILDREN’S LIVES. Jewish Big Brothers Big Sisters of Los Angeles (JBBBSLA), celebrating over 100 years of service in the greater Los Angeles area, is seeking a dynamic Program Manager to join our innovative and collaborative team. JBBBSLA provides mentoring services, teen empowerment programs, college support, and year-round camp experiences at Camp Bob Waldorf. JBBBSLA is proud to have achieved a 4-star rating by Charity Navigator, their highest level of distinction. Our mission is to provide children facing adversity with strong and enduring, professionally supported, one-to-one mentoring relationships that change their lives for the better, forever. Our vision is that all children achieve success in life.
Job Summary: Position works closely with the VP of Mentoring Services to provide support and leadership to the department, with a particular focus on the Enrollment & Matching functions. The Program Manager also provides direct service by maintaining a match caseload and participating in enrollment and matching processes. Program Manager will ensure child safety, promote positive impacts for youth, foster constructive and satisfying relationships between children and volunteers, and cultivate a strong sense of affiliation with Jewish Big Brothers Big Sisters of Los Angeles on the part of all constituents. Program Manager also will serve as a Mentor Trainer and as a Matchforce Administrator to provide strong support for data/reporting functions.
- Team Leadership
- Provide leadership to Enrollment & Matching functions, helping to ensure program operations and staff performance align with the BBBS Service Delivery Model.
- Support a positive, engaged and productive team/agency culture.
- Assist with new staff hiring and onboarding.
- Collaborate with VP around equitable workload distribution.
- Participate in QA reviews for child and volunteer enrollments.
- Identify and promote reengagement of volunteers as Bigs, board members, donors and in other volunteer capacities.
- Conduct Volunteer Pre-match Training.
- Support additional projects as determined in collaboration with supervisor (e.g., constituent newsletters, match events, etc.)
- Collaborate with other agency staff, managers and departments to share information and resources.
- Support VP with data functions: create or maintain Matchforce reports and dashboards, generate program metrics, and provide Matchforce training to all new staff.
- Lead projects or assume other duties as assigned.
- Serve as back up in absence of VP, Mentoring Services
- Enrollment & Matching Function
- Conduct child and family enrollment interviews.
- Present child safety information and evaluate all constituents for ability to understand their role in youth protection.
- Execute and oversee thorough background check processes for all volunteers.
- Prepare an integrated written assessment for each child/family and volunteer, substantiating decisions related to eligibility, suitability, matchability and coachability.
- Make professional recommendations regarding approval and match selection based on interviews, all gathered data and sound professional judgment.
- Recommend safe and appropriate match relationships based on current pools of volunteers and children.
- Monitor metrics and meet enrollment goals in the areas of quality, completion and enrollment processing time, as well as customer satisfaction and QA file reviews.
- Match Support Function
- Conduct Introduction Meetings for new matches.
- Continually assess and coach match relationships with a focus on child safety, match relationship development, positive youth development and volunteer satisfaction.
- Utilize validated surveys to determine health and progression of the match relationship and to evaluate child’s growth in the program, providing additional support or intervention as needed.
- Conduct scheduled Match Support contacts at prescribed intervals; Identify and address potential problems and barriers as early as possible.
- Facilitate development of Youth Outcome Development Plans for each match.
- Acknowledge constituents and their successes through anniversary celebrations and other forms of recognition.
- Document comprehensive written summaries of all match support contacts in real-time using web-based Matchforce software in compliance with BBBS standards.
- Monitor metrics and meet match support goals in the areas of match support, survey administration, YODP compliance and QA file reviews, as well as match length and customer satisfaction.
- Conduct exit interviews with all parties at match closure. Assess reasons for match closure and re-match/re-engagement potential, conducting re-assessments accordingly.
- Maintain accurate files and documentation on all volunteers and children/families.
Skills and Qualifications
We are seeking a candidate with a strong belief in the Mission and Vision of JBBBSLA, as well as the following:
- Minimum two years’ experience in a BBBS agency with a history of outstanding performance in enrollment, matching and/or match support core functions.
- Bachelor’s degree (preferably in Human Services, Social Services, education or related field).
- Relationship management experience with youth and/or adult populations, with a working understanding of child development and family dynamics.
- Demonstrated aptitude or experience in leadership and supervision.
- Proficiency in Matchforce database, Microsoft Office and other internet-based applications
- Cultural competency and ability to work sensitively with confidential information.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work both in a team and independently, to exercise good judgment, make sound decisions & problem solve.
- Collaborative workstyle with strong interpersonal skills
- A strong commitment to quality and results
- Reliable transportation, valid driver’s license, state-required auto insurance minimums and willingness to travel as necessitated by job responsibilities.
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours (some evenings and/or weekends)
BENEFITS PACKAGE: Competitive salary, paid vacation and sick leave, 3 additional personal days, paid federal and Jewish holidays, and early Friday closure. Medical/vision/dental insurance, retirement plans (403(b) and Defined Contribution Plan), Life Insurance and Employee Assistance Program.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to Megan Koehler (firstname.lastname@example.org). No phone calls, please.