Position: Teen Program Coordinator – Graduation Coaches
As the largest and oldest mentoring agency in the region, Big Brothers Big Sisters Twin Cities (BBBS) has a strong foundation that supports life-changing mentoring relationships between caring adult volunteers (“Bigs”) and young people (“Littles”). By partnering with young people, parents/guardians, and volunteer mentors, BBBS defends and amplifies the potential of youth through impactful relationships, educational support, and increased confidence and social-emotional skills.
Justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI) are central to our mission and values, and BBBS strives to implement these ideals across all areas of our agency. We are committed to learning and taking a non-discriminatory, anti-racist, and anti-bias approach. We are dedicated to cultivating a safe environment where all individuals feel equally respected and valued.
Our mission is to create and support mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth. BBBS accomplishes its mission by:
- Providing deep and intentional partnerships with our youth
- Building and sustaining strong relationships with our Mentors
- Building a healthy organizational foundation
- Creating a workplace culture that represents our core values
- Transforming our community to understand the power of youth mentoring
|Supervisor: Director of Educational and Teen Programs||Hiring Salary Range: $41,000 – $44,000|
|Position Title: Program Coordinator – Graduation Coaches||Department: Educational & Teen Programming|
|Job Type: Full-time, Exempt||Location: Minneapolis, MN|
|Hours/Days: Monday-Friday, 40+ hours a week – occasional nights/weekends when necessary||Closing Date: Open until filled|
Primary Function of the Position
Under the direction of the Director of Educational & Teen Programs, Program Coordinator – Graduation Coaches is a new Site-Based Mentoring program offered by BBBS Twin Cities. This program will operate in multiple area high schools, making and supporting group and 1:1 mentoring relationships for high school students. Through developing relationships, this program aims to improve School Connectedness, Academic Self-Efficacy, Future Orientation, and Goal Setting Skills in served youth with the goal of improving high school graduation rates and preparedness for postsecondary education, training and employment. This role will develop and implement program curriculum and oversees all functions of the program including: volunteer and youth recruitment enrollment and matching; match support; and regular communication with volunteers, teens and parents; ensuring child safety and positive youth development; and fostering a strong sense of client affiliation with BBBS.
Essential Job Functions:
- Develop strong relationships with match participants and stakeholders (youth, volunteer mentors, and parents/guardians) that create strong affiliation between participants and BBBS and provide customized support and case management to support healthy youth development
- Develop, coordinate and facilitate a variety of program curricula, activities, trainings and events for program participants on topics including, but not limited to: Academic Self-Efficacy, Future Orientation, Engagement and Relationships, School Connectedness
- Assist in the recruitment, enrollment, screening and training of volunteers
- Manage the enrollment and assessment of youth participants and volunteers
- Provide professional, on-site case management for youth participants
- Collaborate with school liaisons for effective program-related communication
- Participate in and administer the evaluation of program curricula, activities, events and trainings to guide program direction and gauge program impact
- Coordinate volunteer recognition and appreciation efforts
- Collect and compile confidential and sensitive data
- Establish rapport with match participants by identifying and assessing participant needs, and listening to feedback
- Provide assistance with problem solving participant concerns and issues as appropriate
- Connect participants with other staff, community resources, training opportunities, and referrals as appropriate
- Create a positive public awareness of BBBS and represent the agency as the mentoring program of choice to the community
- Maintain knowledge of community needs, resources, and networks
- Establish professional connections internally and externally with community partners to provide high quality service to families
- Communicate in a professional and respectful manner with community partners. This includes verbal and written communication, such as writing letters and electronic communications, reports and giving occasional presentations.
- Contribute to the overall success of the agency in order to achieve the BBBS mission
- Work collaboratively to achieve results as specified in the annual business plan
- Promote teamwork by overseeing and participating in various teams including work groups and interdepartmental meetings
- Positively represent BBBS in the larger community
- Support the Advancement Department in recruitment and fundraising efforts
- Assist with other program functions and tasks as assigned.
Other Job Duties:
- Contribute to the overall success of the organization by working together to achieve the mission.
- Develop and maintain sensitivity to employee diversity, and demonstrate cultural competence in the workplace and in the services provided by the agency.
- Demonstrate respectful treatment of other employees, program participants and all stakeholders.
- Build community support for the organization by helping to recruit volunteers and to raise money.
Education and Experience
- Baccalaureate degree in social services, education, health or related field
- Minimum three years of experience working with racially and culturally diverse youth and families.
- Minimum two years of experience working directly with high school students.
- Minimum one year experience in curriculum development.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of youth development.
- Experience facilitating high quality and high impact youth programs,
- Experience administering assessments and evaluations, preferred.
- Knowledge of current community resources.
- Knowledge of mandated reporting guidelines.
- Skill in communicating effectively with adults and children.
- Experience working with diverse youth and families
- Experience collecting and compiling data.
- Strong writing skills and the ability to communicate professionally with external partners.
- Ability to work proactively to solve problems and resolve conflicts with volunteers, youth, and parents.
- Ability to manage multiple projects.
- Ability to work with a team and independently to meet job expectations.
- Ability to adapt and innovate as needed to achieve outcomes.
- Must be able to travel frequently out in the community.
- Must have reliable transportation and/or valid drivers’ license and current auto insurance that meets minimum requirement.
- Must be available to work nights and weekends; willingness to schedule around participant availability.
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, copy machines and filing cabinets. This role must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time.
BBBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- People of color, LGBTQ, women, people with disability, and veterans are highly encouraged to apply
The above statements are not intended to encompass all functions and qualifications of the position. Rather, they are intended to provide a general framework of the requirements of the position. Employees may be required to perform other functions not specifically addressed in this job description.
To apply, please visit https://www.bigstwincities.org/careers/
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to the Human Resources team at firstname.lastname@example.org.