Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence
Position: Vice President, Program Growth & Impact
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Job Status: Full-time, exempt
Reports To: COO
Effective Date: August 14, 2023
JOIN A FORWARD-THINKING AGENCY THAT SEEKS TO ENSURE THAT ALL YOUTH ACHIEVE THEIR FULL POTENTIAL. Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence is the largest BBBS agency in the state and one of the largest in the nation. Our mission is to ignite the power and promise of youth and close the mentoring gap, by creating and supporting one-to-one mentoring relationships and strengthening the quality of the mentoring field.
You will love it here if you 1) set the bar high 2) are intentional and thoughtful about your choices 3) collaborate as a means to community solutions 4) are positive, can-do, and solution-oriented 5) embrace justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion, and 6) are accountable and get it done.
As the VP of Program Growth & Impact at BBBS Independence, you will be responsible for driving the organization’s growth, enhancing its impact, and leveraging data insights to optimize decision-making processes. Your role will be critical in developing and executing strategies that maximize the positive outcomes for the youth and communities served by BBBSI. This leadership position, reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO), requires a combination of strategic thinking, operational excellence, people & partnership management, and expertise in data-informed decision-making skills.
You will oversee all aspects of BBBSI programs including our Community-Based, School-Based, and e-Mentoring models, through the Program Leadership Team who manage ~60 partnership, recruitment, intake and match support staff in delivering exceptional customer service to volunteers, youth, families, and community partners. In alignment with the BBBS Standards of Practice and Service Delivery Model, this position also ensures child safety, efficiencies in procedure and practice, and adherence to the Agency’s mission in the community-based and school-based program functions consisting of Recruitment, Customer Relations, Enrollment, and Match Support. They will work with schools, groups, agencies, public officials and other nonprofits in the community in order to provide effective solutions for youth and families, contribute leadership ability within the community, and promote BBBSI and its services.
Individuals with a strong connection to the community that BBBSI serves and the Southeastern Pennsylvania/Southern New Jersey area are given preferential consideration. Work may be in office and remote, depending on the needs of the program. Moderate travel to branch offices, community and mission partners may be required, along with some non-traditional work hours to include evenings and weekends.
The following statements reflect the general duties, responsibilities and competencies considered necessary to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the job and should not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements of the position. BBBS may change the specific job duties with or without prior notice based on the needs of the organization.
Leadership, Management, Accountability
- Serve on the Leadership Team, fostering strong, cohesive partnerships across agency departments including MENTOR IR, Advancement, Marketing, and Administration
- Serve as the staff liaison to the Program Committee of the Governing Board and other Committees as needed
- Recruit, develop, and retain a diverse, high-performing team with expertise in data analytics and program evaluation toward accountable, goal-based outcomes, providing opportunities for staff growth and advancement
- Monitor programs to ensure performance targets (qualitative and quantitative) & contractual obligations are met, and ensure accountability to individual and team metrics and Agency Program goals
- Foster a culture of data-driven decision making, promoting the use of analytics across all levels of the organization.
Program Growth & Impact Strategy
- Collaborate with the Leadership team to develop integrated growth strategies aligned with BBBSI’s mission and vision
- Use data analytics, benchmarking, and market insights to identify growth and innovation opportunities, inform strategic decision-making processes, and ensure data-driven accountability
- Develop, align, and implement all programming consistent with our strategic plan
- Develop long-range and annual program plans and budgets, ensure organizational planning and alignment across teams, and create and execute program strategies and plans that are evidencebased and/or leverage best practices to meet outcomes and impact goals
Program Oversight, Analytics, and Performance Measurement
- Ensure compliance with BBBSA standards of practice, BBBSI policies, and state and federal requirements.
- Evaluate and strengthen policies and procedures, and ensure dynamic processes in all phases of the Program Service Delivery Model – from recruitment to match closure – and pull-through across the organization to enhance outcomes, effectiveness, stakeholder experience, and efficiency
- Lead the development and implementation of data analytics strategies, systems, and tools to measure program effectiveness and impact
- Establish key performance indicators (KPIs) and metrics to evaluate the outcomes of BBBS Independence’s initiatives and drive continuous improvement
- Conduct comprehensive analysis of program data, identifying trends, patterns, and areas for improvement to drive organizational growth
Business Development, Partnerships, and Grant Execution
- Collaborate with the Advancement team to identify and pursue funding opportunities that align with BBBSI’s growth goals.
- Cultivate and steward strategic partnerships with community organizations, educational institutions, corporate entities, and other partners to expand BBBSI’s reach and deepen partnerships.
- Leverage data insights to ensure effective program execution in alignment with our commitments to partners and collaborate with the Advancement team to support grant applications, program and impact reporting, and partnership development activities.
Academic Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field required; advanced degree with depth in data analytics or related field is preferred
Skills and Professional Requirements:
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in a leadership role, preferably in a growth-oriented nonprofit organization or a related field, with a specific focus on analytics
- Proven track record of successfully developing and executing growth strategies informed by data analytics, resulting in measurable impact and expansion
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills, with expertise in data visualization, statistical analysis, and modeling
- Experience in program evaluation, performance measurement, and data-driven decision making
- Exceptional leadership skills, with a demonstrated ability to inspire and motivate teams towards achieving strategic goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build relationships with diverse stakeholders
- Passion for youth development and a commitment to BBBS Independence’s mission and values
- Attentive and active listening skills, organization, flexible thinking, ability to function well in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and CRM/Case Management packages required (Salesforce preferred)
- Daily and dependable access to a car, valid driver’s license, and meet State-required automobile insurance minimums
- Flexible to accommodate job responsibilities (including ability to work evenings/weekends as required)
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing work in an office environment and include the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job: the ability to work independently; remain sedentary for extended periods of time (6+ hours per day); lift 10-15lbs; push, pull, bend kneel, as needed for normal operations. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If interested, please apply with resume and cover letter. Only those applicants believed to be viable candidates for this opportunity will be contacted. No phone calls or 3rd party solicitation please.
Who Should Apply
At BBBSI, we serve more than 1,800 youth annually in Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties in Pennsylvania, and Burlington, Camden and Gloucester Counties in New Jersey.
Our aspiration is to develop an organization that reflects our constituent base. We embrace justice, equity, diversity and inclusion (JEDI). We recognize, affirm, and celebrate the diverse backgrounds, lives, and experiences of all of our stakeholders, including youth, families, donors, volunteers, and staff.
BBBSI is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status, first and second-generation immigrants, and people from low-income families, or any legally protected factor. Please review our JEDI Intentionality Statement.
Ability to commute to the office 3+ days a week is required. COVID-19 vaccinations or medical/religious exemptions are required.
BBBSI offers a robust benefits package including but not limited to paid vacation and PTO, 403(b) retirement plan, medical/dental/vision options, telemedicine, employee assistance program (EAP), life insurance, AD&D, short-term disability, flexible spending accounts (medical, dependent day care, commuter benefits-parking & transit). Please note that some of these offerings may require full-time employment.